Ever Damage A Stylus Using Cleaning Brush?

I’m having a moment of audiophile anxiety. Help me Obi Wans of this forum!

I’d been using the DS Audio ST50 gel cleaner for my Benz Micro Ebony L cartridge. Due to recent uncertainties about the possible liabilities of those type of cleaners I bought a carbon fiber stylus brush, from boundlessaudio.

I use the Audio Intelligent cleaning fluid.

Everything has been fine, and I’ve never been sure how much pressure to apply to brushing the needle, so I’ve always tried the lightest touch possible. Sometimes, though, the middle aged hands aren’t as steady and I can give it a bit more pressure than I was planning.

So last night I lifted up the needle mid track to clean the needle. Couple of very light brushes just skimming the bottom of the needle, always back to front of the needle as recommended. With the system still on I can also hear how light or not I’m brushing, hearing the sound coming through the speakers. But the last brush stroke went up a bit higher, slightly submerging more of the stylus giving it a bit of a bump up and a louder sound through the speakers. Didn’t think too much of it. But when I sat back to listen I could swear the sound had altered slightly, like the sound had gotten a tiny bit lightened, brightened, forward vs the "inky black background" I’d just been listening to.

Just how plausible is it that I may have damaged or shifted something in the stylus?

In thinking it through it seems to me if any real force had been applied, since the stylus was not at all locked in to the holder, it would have bounced the arm up somewhat. But didn’t. Second, it seems to me there is at least as much force simply dropping the needle on to the record.

But I could be wrong. And I don’t know if the tonal change was all in my head. (I’m hoping it is...but even listening today I still seem to perceive a slightly different tone).

Any thoughts on this truly First World problem?

prof

Guys who leave the sound on while cleaning: has that ever actually saved you from anything? Seems like by the time you're aware of a mishap, it would be too late. Plus a large sudden JOLT of sound thru the speakers is just as likely to damage the cartridge from your reflex reaction. 

I do it in silence. Be VERY aware of your hands, clothing, forces being exerted, etc. Be in the zone. This can mean the difference between enjoying a Koetsu and tolerating a 2M :) 

If you have a cantilever, a brush is fine if you are careful. An "ultrasonic" cleaner is even better - quotation marks are because they are just vibrating brushes and don't get into the ultrasonic range of frequencies. My Hudson is cheap and effective.

BUT, if you have a pickup with no cantilever - a Decca, London or equivalent - a dry brush is all that is allowed. No stylus fluids, no liquids on an 'ultrasonic' cleaner. The fluid will migrate onto the armature holding the stylus and cause rust to destroy it, or even get up into the coils and loosen them and make the pickup extremely microphonic. Ask me how I know...

mulveling,

I usually clean the needle after my system is shut off.  But sometimes it's on.

When it's on, it's a bit easier to register the pressure I'm using because I can hear it through the speakers.  It's not too loud.

In fact, I'm not sure how even "too hard" pressure could ruin the speakers. 

The signal level to the speakers is obviously limited by the volume setting.

I mean, if I was just playing Van Halen the signal was already as close to as loud as it would get coming out of the speakers based on that volume setting.  I don't see how a hard brushing would be louder and more threatening to the speakers.

"Guys who leave the sound on while cleaning: has that ever actually saved you from anything"?

@mulveling - Good question. I guess I can't say for sure... I don't think "sound" is necessary at all with a soft brush, but with the Magic Eraser I want to only touch the stylus tip until I hear it through the speakers.  That stated, from your earlier post (& experience) it sounds like I could give it more pressure without hurting anything.

FWIW, I'll probably stick to hearing it though since that is what I'm used to.