Music Server/DAC – Ethernet, USB, S/PDIF, AES3 or I2S.

This is a well written article which I thought I would share so as to prevent the need for any further discussion on the subject. 😁

https://antipodes.audio/solution-architecture/

soma70

Just finished another search of best digital interface, been watching this for years,  still no consensus on which is better.  Only way to know which is better is direct comparison, implementation is key.

p05129

Usb is a flawed connection to a dac no matter what.

That's quite a pronouncement.

How is USB flawed?

“Usb is a flawed connection to a dac no matter what. If you look at some of the better dacs they don’t include usb.”
@p05129

Spot on! USB was adopted out of necessity to facilitate audio out of a PC’s. For the purpose of digital streaming, the DAC’s with direct Ethernet stream is the way to go thus eliminating the need and endless debate on which input (USB, AES/SPDIF, Toslink) is better regardless of how they are designed and implemented.

Those continue to advocate USB, AES or SPDIF protocols needs to hear upper tier DAC’s with Ethernet stream capabilities.

The only audio outputs on the Node are RCA, Toslink and USB. How would I use ethernet if I want it connected to my dac.

lalitk"USB was adopted out of necessity to facilitate audio out of a PC’s."
That is completely, totally, and without exception false, untrue, and mistaken USB is a computer protocol for connecting various computers, peripherals, and communications tools that dates to the last century and there have always been multiple, different, unique ways to get audio out of a PC and USb is just one of those methods, techniques, and standards.
I do not understand why some people get their facts so twisted, confused and wrong on Audiogon.