The new dynamic in speaker pricing

Yesterday I received the latest issue of the Absolute Sound mag. This issue has the round up of the varying speaker manufacturer’s wares along with the retail pricing. One thing that struck me is the number of speaker manufacturer’s who have a speaker in their line up that cost close to a $1M!! There are good number of speakers now available with prices in the $700K+ range. A few manufacturer’s are also a little ’glib’ with their top model pricing, such as Oswalds Mill--who state- price upon inquiry only!

This new speaker pricing dynamic is interesting, as it clearly indicates that there are buyers out there who are happy to pay these prices and presumably enough buyers to make these products viable. A trend that is certainly interesting and yet questionable as to how it will impact the hobby as a whole.

Opinions on this trend?

128x128daveyf

Work hard, save your money & spend it on what you like. Despite what Robert Harley says, there is clearly a law of diminishing returns in hi fi like everything else. 

You can get 80% of the "way" there for "reasonable" $ in cars, bicycles, hifi equipment, etc. The final 20% costs a LOT more. It will always be so. It's not a linear thing but exponential. 

But we are talking about the.01% of the top 1% who can afford a million bucks for those speakers. If any of you .01% are listening please send me your old gear for free of course.

I am skeptical about the extreme prices. In 2003 Stereophile Magazine did a review of a stereo amplifier that uses 833A radio station transmitter tubes with their grids driven by 300B SET. It sold for $350,000. Using the best transformers and parts available you can build the same amplifier with $2,000 worth of parts and at most a week or two of labor. There are speaker cables selling for over $25,000 a pair but the physics, such as skin effect, which subtracts as little as a few hundredths of s dB at 20 kHz and static electricity stored in the insulation returning that energy and causing distortion calculates as irrelevant. In can't help but think the same thing applies to million dollar speakers. 

@drbarney1 I see you had a purpose built room built for your system, or was it a system built for your room design!! ...;0)

Either way, your room is certainly "unique"!!!!

The trend of availability of the most expensive offerings in speakers, or any component, has a mix of reasons. The primary reason IMO is the willingness of a suitable potential customer and their own decisions to part with funds for a desired and anticipated outcome. More people than ever have bigger bucks to splash out for top priced equipment.

It's okay.

My interest would be to curate some of the good stuff at a massive discount from original retail. I am not in a hurry for my wish lists to be fulfilled, and there is a lifetime's worth of music to enjoy while plans come together.