Is there a strategy in preamp tube placement?

My SLP-98 has a gain stage and a buffer stage, both with 6SN7 tubes. Do seasoned tube rollers look for different sound characteristics to occupy each position? ex. A tube with good tone and texture in the gain position and a tube with good dimensionality in the buffer stage, or do they use the same tube at both positions? Or is this process truly random?

128x128coachpoconnor

@coachpoconnor yes, in my SLP-98 and sparing you my vintage 6SN7 tube trials with RCA and Sylvania Black Plates I own and tried, I’ve been experimenting again with newer tubes some.

• TJ Full Music 6SN7s in the all four spots (most transparent, more detailed)
  • Psvane CV181-T MKII (6SN7) in front spots and TJ Full Music in the rear (smoothed over a bit too much for my taste, yet still nice)
  • TJ Full Music in the front spots and Psvane CV181-T MKII (6SN7) in the rear. (nice balance, best over all, smooth, yet detailed, musical)
  • Tung Sol 6SN7GTB in all four spots (too veiled, weighty bass, smaller sound stage, a little grainy, not preferred) my trusty backup test tubes at best.
  • EH factory 6SN7s, a little lean, sitting in their original boxes stored away for the day I resale my 98 preamp down the road. 

@mulveling Has gave a very good base to prepare for a investigation.

A very experienced Valve user, gave myself the very layman advisory, the most Upstream Tube is the one that sends on the signal downstream, the more confidence there is in the quality of the signal at this stage will usually deliver significant SQ that can be built on by further investigation into tube permutations

I have carried out a fair quantity of 6SN7 Tube Comparisons.

I settled on the KR Black Glass VT 231, as the best attractor for myself.

I then learned of certain individuals making claims the Linlai E 6SN7 with approx' 100 Hours usage life has compared favourably to the KR VT 231. The reports being made on these Tubes are generally good and have got my attention.   

@coachpoconnor

Great preamp! It’s on my list to replace an old ARC SP-9mkll.

Question, did you get the phono section  built in? If so, how does it sound?

All the best.

JD