Acoustic Signature turntables

I do not see a lot written about these turntables by end users. Can anyone share experiences or opinions on reliability, use, and design considerations?

Some of my observations or questions (keep in mind these are naive as I have never heard these models and I may be wrong about assumptions made).

1. Why the multiple motors? This is the one I struggle in understanding. Is the AVC (motor vibration reduction) that they provide somehow enhanced when working across more than one motor? How is this different than other motor vibration reduction methods such as the Rega method? Whether additional noise or reduced drive capability, who knows (?). How long to get up to speed?

2. Standard bearing vs inverted vs magnetic. I suppose there will never be consensus but noticed AS steadfastly implements standard bearings that focus on the materials used.

3. Platter dampening. Their method seems to work well. However, I noticed comments about earlier models being overly damped. The dampening increases up the product line.

4. Very heavy platters compared to some competition. Even the lower models have very heavy platters so they seem to think this is important.

5. Subplatter vs no subplatter. AS seems to have moved to subplatter design for models that can take multiple arms. Did they always think this method was superior?

6. Tonearms. Not much out there about the tonearms. Seems once again standard design but focus on materials…carbon fiber and bearings.

7. Back to motors. AS uses AC motors. Kuzma insists on DC. I guess I can try to read up on the differences and why manufacturers prefer different types. Any thoughts here? I am probably not be smart enough to understand the finer points about turntable motors (lol).

8.  Warranty.  AS seems to offer the longest warranty.  As with other warranties, what good is it if no design specs and performance tolerances are published?  Seems few turntable manufacturers publish relevant specs these days.  On one hand, I understand why in dealing with picky audiophiles and on the other hand, unfortunate.

Would appreciate additional thoughts. Thanks!

plinko

I have a WOW with a TA-700 arm. Zero problems, I've had it 5 years. I think it sounds great, a big step up from a Rega RP3.  It came with  a Rega arm, I didn't think the TA-700 was a huge improvement over the Rega RB-202. Love the looks, mine is the gloss white.

Not sure if I want to do a few upgrades or buy a Sota Sapphire.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I do have a chance to listen Acoustic Signature and will be doing this tomorrow (either Hurricane or Tornado). Always a leap of faith, though as the tables are in a different system than mine. That is why I am focused on design, reliability, stability of the company, etc…lots to consider.

I will also be listening to a system with a Kuzma Stabi R. What is so confounding are, in some cases, the diametrically opposed design principles. Some examples would be AC (Acoustic Signature) vs DC (Kuzma) motors, standard (Acoustic Signature) vs inverted bearings (Kuzma), multiple vs single motors, etc…. Much more has been written online about Kuzma vs Acoustic Signature.

I guess I should also consider Technics SP10 system. I am not attracted to huge wooden plinths or huge plinths in general and so won’t be going that direction.

Bob Graham is near me (TechDas) but not sure how I feel about air compressors and such and don’t know much about their tables either and where to see in person. I do really love the diminutive size of the TechDas V, which may be an option at the limit for me or perhaps even beyond my limit or needs.

@plinko when listening to each table, they will be in different environments, listen to the focus of instruments in the soundstage. I personally like DC motor driven tables better I think you can easily hear the stability and microdynamics better at least this is my experience. 

Keep us posted once you hear each table/system.

Plinko, You are making this much harder than it has to be, and it’s hard enough to begin with, to choose a new turntable from the myriad of choices that are available. What you care about is how each of the parts functions as a whole. In each case you are buying the sum total of the designer’s choices. So I would forget about your 8 questions and just listen and choose a turntable, not a motor or bearing or etc.

But, as regards multiple motors on a belt-drive, there is a rationale for two motors set 180 degrees apart, so as to even out the side stress on the bearing well and spindle. Three motors is already overkill, in my own opinion, and the noise of one or two motors ought to be lower than the sum total of noise from 3 motors. Just my opinion as an inveterate DD aficionado. (Yes, by the SP10R, your best idea.)

Dear @plinko  : I know you are not a " new comer " and 7 years you asked for a plinth for the SP10MK2 and you named here too. 

Any TT in that price range are a good TT and that's why audiophiles buy it and due to those sales those manufacturers exist. As any other analog audio item all different TTs have its own trade-offs and you are an audiophile with your unique MUSIC/audio priorities and the TT is only a link in the analog rig and everything the same could be that the more important items are the cartridge/tonearm combinations.

Today there are not bad TTs and many really " surprising " ones like the RP10 with its bargain price.

In AS no one cares about AC vs DC because by design the external control motor develops its own electrical " wave ", it's immune to electrical fluctuations. Between others I own AS.

Btw, no one has any true benefit listening a TT in a way different room/system.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.