Horns

Dear all audiophile I am planning to buy and try horns speakers the 2 speakers I have zeroed in are hRONS overture which were there in the munich 2022 and the 

Viking acoustic grande voix has any one here heard them to speak which one is better Ibelieve cost does not mean good sound always.

your answers will be much appreciated.

jasbirnandra

You said {For example those awful JBL speakers used in so many mastering studios for decades should be proof enough}. So what models of JBL are you referring to and when did you own or hear any of these JBL horns? 

No you arent wrong about the way the press covered tube amps or early digital. Doesnt make your point one bit about how they covered dynamic speakers vs. horns and that the same mistakes were repeated. If you want to point me to a specific article about what we were actually discussing then I am game. 

I have heard Klipsch both stock and modified, various Antique Audios both at shows and at the home of the owner of Atma-sphere and Triplanar, various designs by Bruce Edgar, Cessaro, Avant Garde, various Altecs (including several Voice of the Theatres), all horn (including bass horn) from China at Axpona, Living Voice for a start. I have no idea what you mean about linking reviews about horns/my listening tests.

I have never owned any JBL or horn speakers. The JBLs of which I refer are the dynamic design JBL ( L series ?). No need as they all share a sonic attribute that I find distasteful. Would you buy a speaker which had attributes that you didnt like? A "chinless" speaker if you will. I can find things I like about horns but nothing about those older JBLs.

The thing I find very unusual is how aggressive horn fans sometimes seem. This is nothing new to me as I was introduced to this in high school and college. A Klipsch dealer in Iowa built a S.S. amp (a Leech if memory serves) and a pair of horn speakers for a friend that sounded just awful. When we would go into the dealership where he worked he displayed a nastiness towards those who didnt like horn speakers that was most unbecoming. As a college student especially, it was very disheartening to actually want to learn and to be lectured and belittled by a overweight, slovenly salesman without a pot to piss in nor a window....He felt that he elevated himself by belittling others, especially those younger and less schooled and loved to do this around others. Dont know why but this has stuck with me as the way not to be and how not behave in this industry. Last thing you ever do is knock a product that someone just spent their hard earned money on. Also I learned from this guy never to ride an older Japanese twin with straight pipes....rude. 

So I guess if you want to continue to try to objectify the subjective I will do my best to help. But, dont be like the Klipsch salesman I described earlier. 

audition__audio...You are not a horn guy and that is fine and I respect your analysis above.   However, you say that horn people get all bent out of shape when horns are criticized and that may be true.  In this case, the Op was asking specifically about two different horn speakers.  He was not asking if anyone had any concerns about the sound characteristics of a horn speaker versus a nonhorn speaker which you alluded to early on in this thread.  In this case, the Op has made a decision to go with a horn.   Respectfully....

I wanted to make certain that he had heard this design before buying. His statement about "buy and try" raised some questions. Dont get me wrong I love aspects of horn speaker reproduction, but in the areas which I find most important I think they fall a bit short. I dont like it when another member concludes that I havent heard horns because I dont prefer them to other designs. I also reject the notion that other speaker types arent viable or are intrinsically inferior. 

Ive purchased numerous JBL Speakers that were used in recording studio's and NONE were an "L" Series. The only L I can think of is the L65 from the very early 1970's.

The studio monitor numbers are like 4312, 4311, 4309, 4410, 4412.   I dont think you have ANY idea what your talking about.