Precision Motor Controller

Hi my Fellow Audiogoners,

I have Micro Seiki 1500VG with a outboard power supply/motor. I'm sure most of you know what my 'table looks like. My question is can I hook up something like a Walker or VPI precsion motor contoller. Would I just hook up the precision controller before the motor unit? Does it override the 33/45 controls on my MIcro. Has anybody, by chance, done that to their MS? The reason I'm not interested in changing out the motor is the unit also controls the vacuum hold down, and I just had that, amazingly, fixed. So I don't want to sacrifice that aspect of the Micro. It's amazing how the sound is improved by having a perfectly flat reecord for the arm/cartridge to traverse.

Thanks,for reading this and should you have any answers, talk to me!

ira2000

@ira2000 , Micro Seiki knows pretty well what it is doing. Unless something is not working right I would leave it alone. Motors and control units have to be matched to each other in many ways. You can not just ram a motor onto any controller. You can buy controller/motor combinations that have wide speed ranges so they can be tuned to any platter. You would probably get more bang for your buck spending the money on a better tonearm and cartridge combo.

@ira2000 

Micro had both a DC and AC motor available for the 1500 series TT's.

Model RY1500D is DC servo motor.

Model RY1500A is an AC motor - these are quite rare.

I don't think the controllers will work in either case.

You might get an improvement plugging into a regenerated power source such as the PS Audio Power Plant, otherwise leave as is. I did clean and replace the oil on the Micro motor unit I had - but you need to know what you are doing.

If I were u I would get a very good tech to look at all the wiring to make sure there are no dry joints and to replace any faulty capacitors

@mijostyn is 100% correct about MS knowing what they were doing

What Dover said. An AC power regenerator might help, but neither the Walker nor the VPI is appropriate here.

Isn't a VPI SDS a low power AC regenerator that takes the incoming wall AC and regenerates it into a 20 watt variable AC frequency?