Why Is Hi Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?

Why Is Hi-Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?! - The Absolute Sound

Interesting read.

"I recently heard a small 2-way stand mount speaker at a show. The sound was excellent. The product was priced at $50,000 or thereabouts, per pair. Allowing for distribution and marketing leaves about $25,000."

$25000 for distribution and marketing? Really? That much more for this than a similar product at 1/10th the cost?

I don’t doubt the marketing cost per unit could be much higher with boutique products. Makes sense. Is the cat is out of the bag regarding the value proposition of boutique products?

How about fancy fuses marketed for free here that cost practically nothing to ship? Oh my!

I guess there are "excellent" expensive boutique products and others that offer value everywhere. Hifi not unique. Take your pick! Live and learn!

The article also chalks up people’s reactions to high-fi prices to emotion. What about the sound they hear? Real or emotionally distorted? What would Mr. Spock think about that? I know he likes music...he plays a harp!

128x128mapman

Most audiophiles aren’t so wealthy that price is no object. We envision ourselves with something better but we must consider the costs. Those who fall into a petty bourgeoisie class structure can be the most vulnerable. It’s definitely a strange dichotomy. I do however believe that some products deserve their market value based on the quality, craftsmanship, time and costs invested. I also believe that most companies want to maximize their dividends and will charge whatever they think they can get. Power to the savvy who can find high quality products for down to earth prices.

I have been fortunate prior to COVID to be able to listen to a range of systems owned by others, in the dedicated listening spaces produced, where the value of the systems being presented can range between less than £8000 and up to £200 000, where in the most expensive set up, and item can cost as much as £80 000 retail.

Each of these systems are put together by very knowledgeable individuals who have done a fair amount of footwork preparing for their system choices, being very selective in their choices for building a system.

The systems are produced using methods where a particular device is bought and overhauled / modified (this is desirable when certain valued components used in a schematic are very rarely found). The other method being, where very well thought out choices for system matching with readily available devices is carried out.

My own system is produced using mainly Bespoke Produced devices, either as a commission bult device, or a complete rethink for a design that has been a readily available product.

I can assure anybody under the impression that uber expensive devices are going to create for them their best listening experiences, that there is substantial impressions that can be made by being prudent and carefully selecting devices that work in favour of the end listeners unique preferences for how a device presents.

This as a method does require a amount of money will be required that can be equivalent to the cost of a used vehicle, but certainly does not add up to monies that will be similar the cost of a residential property.   

For an individual to get to this position, the knowledge to make a choice is not readily available from using evaluation from others found in media, or from forum recommendation, it takes footwork from individuals interested in the pursuit, there is a requirement to receive demonstrations and singling out items that have made a good impression during a evaluation, and individual can be quite unique in their preferences, especially for what is attractive to them and leaving a very good impression. 

I have been present when a reputable DIY Solid State Power Amp Design with a build cost of approx' £1200,  was demonstrated along side a +£50 000 Soulution Power Amp, and I failed to separate one over the other for being the better in the system used, I wasn't the only in attendance coming to this conclusion. 

My take on it is whether the Soulution is an inferior design for the monies asked for it, or is both Amp's being compared sharing similar qualities within the design, but Soulution has a Marketing Strategy that places it at the cost being made known.   

My own approach, to anything and not just hifi gear, is to start with a budget and then decide how much of that budgeted amount to spend on components.  I have long heard that speakers are so important that one should spend half of the budget on the speakers alone.  If my budget for the system is $10,000 and I spend half of that on speakers, I have a choice of some nice speakers but it doesn’t leave much for the rest of the system — likely, the most realistic approach would be to limit my system to speakers, an integrated or separate amp/preamp with built-in DAC, and source (say, streamer or CD).  I didn’t spend half on speakers, so they had to be “good enough” and the same with the rest of the equipment.  Then, as many do here, upgrade the weakest link over time to gradually improve the entire system.

I don’t deceive myself that I will ever own (likely not even hear), the top of line components — they are out of my budget.  I enjoy looking at things like the Dan D’Agostino monoblocks, but those are a dream, nothing more. I enjoy what I have and enjoy reading about what others have.  More power to them.  

@bob540 😁

That is the way to go. Just for fun, go to an high end audio dealer… listen to their best. It is fun, and inspiring. Over time, you can slowly move up your aspirations as your means increase.

For me, now retired, my system is a constant source of enjoyment. I worked slowly and consciously towards this for decades.