Why Is Hi Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?

Why Is Hi-Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?! - The Absolute Sound

Interesting read.

"I recently heard a small 2-way stand mount speaker at a show. The sound was excellent. The product was priced at $50,000 or thereabouts, per pair. Allowing for distribution and marketing leaves about $25,000."

$25000 for distribution and marketing? Really? That much more for this than a similar product at 1/10th the cost?

I don’t doubt the marketing cost per unit could be much higher with boutique products. Makes sense. Is the cat is out of the bag regarding the value proposition of boutique products?

How about fancy fuses marketed for free here that cost practically nothing to ship? Oh my!

I guess there are "excellent" expensive boutique products and others that offer value everywhere. Hifi not unique. Take your pick! Live and learn!

The article also chalks up people’s reactions to high-fi prices to emotion. What about the sound they hear? Real or emotionally distorted? What would Mr. Spock think about that? I know he likes music...he plays a harp!

128x128mapman

" The cabinets and parts are Chinese sourced what % not sure we will ever know."

dayglow-

Perhaps you are aware, much of all audio products have China attached to it. Especially many of those nice black lacquer boxes for those hi digit "USA" speakers.

Some of the crowd here for some reason seems to be adverse to reality.

If it were not for China, we would be either staring at empty boxes or paying  even MORE for the "made in USA with 100% USA parts INCLUDING nuts, bolts and zip ties and solder!  

Never gonna happen. I enjoy all my China made products.

Buy something vintage from the 60's and earlier for USA product.

Audio gear has always been expensive because audiophiles associate price with sound quality. Even dealers are reluctant to carry lower price items because they know it's a hard sell (unless it gets a Stereophile Class A rating) and they won't score a high margin on the sale.

I agree with @gs5556 case in point I have a Class A Integrated as an everyday driver I purchased New for $1200.00 and it sounds fantastic. A few member her have this same Integrated and yet not many stores Boutique or Big Box carry the line?

Get rave reviews on PTA and Sterophile.

It is the price point, I bought it so that I am not running my $10,000.00 Tube integrated all day.

As someone who has made their own speakers and has worked for small companies that make things, I can see the where the cost comes from in a lot of high end products. The materials they work with, the complexity of design, and the level of finish they produce requires a lot of up-front investment. And then they sell small quantities relative to a larger company. For me personally the value isn’t there, but I don’t try to impose that on others. As with high end cars, I can see how they are better in a number of ways, but I’m really attracted to designs that are more universally available, partly because things that can be mass produced can be more heavily engineered and can be in a lot of ways better than any specialty item. I like video games, and I own a Nintendo Switch. If I were a billionaire I would still prefer a Nintendo Switch - stock, no mods. The software available for it is what I’m looking for and I couldn’t pay to have custom high zoot stuff developed that would have the same richness of content so optimized for specific hardware. With high end audio items livability and ease of use are often serious compromises made along with cost. They can be a pain to use, and not comfortable for most people to live with. The sound quality differences are typically dealing with extreme subtleties while the major flaws of the 2 channel playback format are still plainly evident to the more casual listener, hence their bewilderment about the excesses of the high end. I am one who appreciates subtle improvements even though I always hear the major flaws. While I may show skepticism of some assertions, I don't doubt people's perceptions, and I appreciate those who can afford to and are willing to go through the expense and effort of dealing with the necessary equipment to make those improvements because I’m an audio reproduction nut. Because of that I honestly don’t know what I’d do in terms of buying audio equipment if I suddenly had vast amounts of cash available to me. It doesn’t matter really because I don’t dream of owning that stuff or envy those who do. I’m fascinated with it though, and when something is perceived by many to be an improvement worthy of large amounts of cash and effort I’d like to know more technically about what makes that sound more desirable than the more run of the mill equipment that measures quite accurately. I often get told it’s a trade secret, but some measurements are available and in time we can start to recognize patterns. I want the most people possible to get the best enjoyment possible out of their sound systems, and I think scientific study of human audio perception is the way forward. I’m for sharing information and competing on quality of implementation.