Mixed Brand Pre-Amp Power Amp Pairings that Work

I am thinking of and starting from scratch and revamping my pre-amp to power amp chain. I know that the performance of these two elements will be tightly coupled, so they need to match.

I suppose the easiest thing for me to do would likely be to stick with one brand (potentially even an integrated) and assume that they have optimally paired their own components to work well together. But even if I ended up getting pre- and power from one brand, I would want to do some thinking about the best pairing.

I would love to hear from folks here with more experience than me with off brand pairings. What worked? What didn't? All thoughts are much appreciated

saulh

I've done a lot of mixing between phono / preamp / power components of the brands Rogue / ARC / VAC. Assuming you've eliminated egregious electrical mismatches, the sonic pairings can work out great or be mediocre. It's incredibly system dependent - you just have to be able to try it home or be willing to buy / try / sell. Or be like me and just keep it all so you can explore various matches over time lol. The sonic match between pre and power is particularly important - and can be very finicky! The choice of power tubes KT88 vs. KT120 in my VAC 200iQ monos can make or break preamp matches. I'd previously found the full VAC stack to be sluggish for fast paced rock, but that turned out to be a couple of tube rolling choices I made over the years. Going back to more of the stock VAC tubes, except for a V1 rolling to NOS 6SN7, resolved that issue. Of course you can mix cartridge and SUT pairings into the mess too lol. At least my speakers & room have been consistent!

I've got a Herron Audio tube preamp going into an MSB S-200 power amp, and the sound is superb... 

Pretty much all of top level hobbyists choose the best pre-amp and choose an amp from different manufacturers. That is what I see on most systems, swapping gear is a constant process and being bound by just one manufacturer is very limiting. I've only had one matched system in 60 years and it didn't last long. 

I had a pairing in mind and contacted a fellow in Germany who evaluates equipment professionally.  I noticed in a few of his tests of some front end gear he used my proposed pairing in his reference system.  He wrote back confirming the pairing.  (Fairaudio.de)  

The EAR 868 and the Bryston 4B3 play very well together.  

I have mixed and matched for most of the last fifty years. At first because the best in each category was made by a different manufacturer and also a lack of funds to buy what I really wanted.

Much more recently… with adequate funds, simply by upgrading I ended up with nearly all Audio Reseach equipment minus one. My audio dealer brought over the one missing piece without me asking and said just try this. I was sold in a few minutes.

I think the world has changed. There are some high end companies where you get a huge advantage in synergy. Audio Research is definitely one of them. I will not be mixing and matching any more.