How accurate are cable descriptions for your system?

Steve Huff, whose videos I typically like on YouTube is now reporting this about some cables:

SVS Ultra Cables can be found at Amazon for just about $100 for an 8 foot pair. These will bring a bit more bass to your sound but are less refined. 

Tuneful cables are light and have a nice design. They are leaner, and faster but also very good. You can find them for $79 for a 12 foot pair at Amazon HERE.

QUESTION: To what degree can his descriptions be taken as "likely true" for any given (sufficiently resolving) system?

I ask this for people who have found that cables DO make a difference (to their ears, in their system) and deniers will be ignored.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/my-fave-speaker-cables-under-100-hifi-quality/

128x128hilde45

Sorry for the correction havocman but occ has been with us a little shorter (1991) and yes is a considerable upgrade compared to ofc. Trple C is a more advanced manufacturing process and for me the better sounding too. You cannot go wrong with either though.

Unfortunately with cables you pay you get, overpriced maybe but what isn't. 

So many times i have found out, searching for the century deal,  that low budget cables called "giant killers" are nothing but very ordinary in disguise. Better save up for something better. Different systems different results, different ears, but house sound is real and easier to hear when a complete set of cabling is introduced in ones system.

Cables should remain in a system for a long period to show what they are capable of, swapping more than often is a waste of time.

I have never listened to SVS Ultra or Tuneful cables so i cannot comment on reviewers findings but i found reviews for Kondo, Acoustic Revive, Furutech to be very close to my findings.

Would you like to have your music sound more natural and dynamic?  Craving the low level details and acoustic information in your favorite music that could bring you closer to the music and make it sound more alive and fresh?  Want to get lost in the soundscape?  Transparent will do that like no other…enjoy!

I don’t know if this answers the question specifically but, in my system I am initially sense (hear)  the “general or house sound” of the cable. Whether that be lean, more bass, midrange, muddled, shrill, etc etc. Then as you go up the line on a cable it’s all about the resolution, micro details, sound stage. This is particularly true with a couple of the brands I have ie: analysis plus, and nordost. In particular, Nordost has a great  general sound that treats the highs in a very appealing way (without any edge), and bass that is authoritative and not bloated. This rings true throughout the line where Heimdall is the sweet spot for me. Now when you move up to Valhalla, the details, micro details and balance is amazing. The bass is clean and punch that’s not bloated in any way. My favorite, Valhalla use from my preamp to amp.

So,  before I get way off tangent I look for these descriptors and how the reviewer uses them to get a general feel for what the cable might sound like. Then it’s all about how they sound to. Hope I came close on this question. 

When you hear cables described in a certain way -- but not specific to your system -- how accurately do you find those descriptions matching up to what you eventually here, if you try the cables?

When I bought my Odyssey Stratos+ years ago, I was a Bass Nut and Klause assured me it was on the Bassie side. I also bought a pair of Groneberg ICs also described on the bass side. They were the same cable that the Stratos was internally wired with.

Years later I put together a system that was on the Bright side and when I put the Gronebergs between CDP and Integrated the Bass did improve and the Brightness was lowered a good deal.

Keep in mind this was not a Ultra Resolving system but the JM Labs speakers have a titanium tweeter than can get fatiguing.

My takeaway is you can tune a system some with cables.

@artemus_5 

It also depends upon which speaker cable you went from to the new one.

Great point. Another variable not factored in by most reviewers or commenters. This whole hobby careens between art, pseudo-science, and science without a whole lot of clues.

@williewonka  -- Steve, thanks for your great post and the link to the Zavfino thread. Your account of why the hobby is subjective and the variety of your listening tracks was masterful.

@lalitk 

IMO, cables are just as important as your components and room acoustics. And you gotta hear them in your system rather than relying on reviewers and manufacturers description.

Well put. The video I was referencing above has, today, 23,256 views. If what folks here have said is true, then the video is quite the bit of puffery. I wouldn't make such assertions to such a wide following but then again, I care about my reputation for saying reasonably true things.

I can see the usual back and forth with Mahgister and room acoustics is happening. I'm only trying to discuss the relative accuracy of cable character claims. 

@ghdprentice  Thanks for your co@decooney  has also a long track record of very careful trial and error. When you guys discuss cables, I listen and then try to relate whether my gear, room, tastes and other factors to the experimental situation described. Then, I may try a cable.

@jasonbourne52  Which particular Ouija boards give the most transparent and accurate results? I have a Ouija board but it's tubby, etched, shrill, and flabby in its predictions.

@whart  

Before you go crazy on wire, I’d want to know that the system is optimized for the room, some room treatment or other things may prove to be important too, but placement and positioning, which may require some experimentation and heavy lifting, might also be in order first.

Great post and I like your order of priority. I totally agree. One should not "sweat the small stuff" if the big stuff isn't already dealt with. That's why I spent over a year and half mostly on room acoustics.

@prndlus 

"I don’t trust anything said by a seller about subjective aspects of their audio equipment; they have motive to stretch the truth, and no reason to be especially truthful because there are no consequences."

Agreed. And once again, in the item mentioned in my OP, we don't have a "seller" but a Youtube "reviewer" who is just imparting his "wisdom" to his thousands of viewers. It's more furrowing of the earth between fact and fiction, news and infotainment.

@dinov 
   "Then as you go up the line on a cable it’s all about the resolution, micro details, sound stage. This is particularly true with a couple of the brands I have ie: analysis plus, and nordost."

I have a couple levels of AP and I completely agree with this description -- despite whatever other differences we have, this is true for my situation.