Looking for a change.

My current integrated amp is a 90 wpc Yamaha AS2100. I'm thinking about replacing it with a more powerful integrated, or keeping it as a pre and just adding an external amp. My speakers are Sonus Faber Cremona M with two KEF R400B subs. I have a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista Vinyl, so the phono stage is not an issue. The SF speakers are pretty efficient and good with this amp. Like everyone, I'm always wondering what could be. What am I missing with the Yamaha and what would I gain from making a change. I listen to vinyl on my VPI Prime with a Van den Hul MC DDT II Special. I stream with a Node running through the DAC of my Yamaha CD S2100. Is the Yamaha my weak link?

chasda

I have a Plinius 9100 integrated available. Many compare Plinius with Pass Labs. Contact me if interested.

Here is a gross generality to think about. If you really like lots of details in your face and slam… then sticking with solid state and adding lots more power will tickle your fancy. However, if you want a more realistic sound (with all the details… just not in your face) and the bass more nuanced with great emotional content, then look to tubes like ARC…preamp and amp would be best. Or you can split the difference with Pass XA amp.

just for discussion's sake, and not to be argumentative with @ghdprentice, while i agree directionally with his comment above, i feel it is stated too starkly as to the difference between top-flite solid state and tube amps (details in your face or not, bass nuanced/emotional/weak, relatively)... the upper tier of solid state amps (including pass which he mentioned) but also a host of others, nicely ’split the difference’ and then some (with materially better bass response), in my own experience, compared to similarly high echelon tube amps

context: i currently own audio research ref 110, ref 75, vt100, v70, linear tube ref40 but they don’t rotate in often anymore... preference goes to agd and exposure monoblocs, hegel h20, smc/mccormack dna, belles sa30 -- speakers are big harbeths, spendors, proacs, maggies...(further sidebar: i generally don’t run my rel subs anymore... but for those that do, tube amps may well be best of both worlds...)

Have a set of Cremona Auditor M - they are special as many Audiogoners have attested to all over this forum. Play mine now in a Cary - Manley - Line Magnetic - Auralic streaming system. Have also experienced Cremona M floorstanders at length in an Aesthetix - Antique Sound Labs (Hurricane Monos) - Mytek - Auralic setup. Equally fantastic in a larger room especially with the ASL, 100 Watts X (2) of spectacular tube power. These amps are incredible with the big Fabers. Just my opinion but I find this amp/speaker pairing spectacular.

If you're OK sticking with an integrated, take a look at the PS Audio Stellar Strata

If I were just starting my audio journey, it's what I would buy

A tremendous price performance value proposition, IMO