Balanced versus single ended

From my experience, every situation that had both options, the balanced connection and/or increased gain sounded better, regardless of the bolume knob’s final position. More detail , air, emotional connection etc. The single ended cables used were good, not the bargain or so called high end extreme.

Sometimes using balanced or xlr it involved just the source, but optimally it carried through thd entire chain.

Anyways, my question is: has anyone ever thought that single ended sounded better?given the 2 options. Im only referring to a truly balanced connection.

I ask, because a manufacturer who makes tube amps, recommends single over balanced connection. Is there something else involved in this decision, additional parts or labor complexity? Is the signal path extended?

Thanks in advance

recluse

Yess. I am aware of the point that long runs are best handeled by balanced connection.

But I am talking short runs only, and my experience is still: balanced sounds better.

Could this possibly be related to the increased gain(voltage)?, aside from the excellent points Atmosphere posted? It is more than simply an increment in volume.

Maybe it is the " op amp"? Is there variability in quality of these, tube ss?

Thanks for the input. It appears many don’t hear a difference.

Everyone of my Ayre manuals recommends balanced as does Parasound for the JC 1 monoblocks, JC 2 preamp, and JC 3 phonostage.  That convinced me.

db 

Could this possibly be related to the increased gain(voltage)?

Most likely but everything makes a difference, so swapping cables by itself can make it sound different but trust me there are plenty of very top tier systems that are running single ended cabling. 

Though both my preamp and power amp are true balanced designs i ended up preferring sonically the lower gain setting of preamp in single ended connection.

With same brand interconnects, same length, Audio Note Kondo KSL (balanced and RCA). 

XLR and RCA will bring the different sound,which some perople might not agree,but it happen every single day. 

It is case to case issue,different pre and different power amplifier and also different music. 

Most of time, XLR make the sound bigger and If you like it,you choose.

Also XLR might lose some small sound,if you do not like it,you choose RCA.

It is all my experience.