Balanced versus single ended

From my experience, every situation that had both options, the balanced connection and/or increased gain sounded better, regardless of the bolume knob’s final position. More detail , air, emotional connection etc. The single ended cables used were good, not the bargain or so called high end extreme.

Sometimes using balanced or xlr it involved just the source, but optimally it carried through thd entire chain.

Anyways, my question is: has anyone ever thought that single ended sounded better?given the 2 options. Im only referring to a truly balanced connection.

I ask, because a manufacturer who makes tube amps, recommends single over balanced connection. Is there something else involved in this decision, additional parts or labor complexity? Is the signal path extended?

Thanks in advance

recluse

Could this possibly be related to the increased gain(voltage)?

Most likely but everything makes a difference, so swapping cables by itself can make it sound different but trust me there are plenty of very top tier systems that are running single ended cabling. 

Though both my preamp and power amp are true balanced designs i ended up preferring sonically the lower gain setting of preamp in single ended connection.

With same brand interconnects, same length, Audio Note Kondo KSL (balanced and RCA). 

XLR and RCA will bring the different sound,which some perople might not agree,but it happen every single day. 

It is case to case issue,different pre and different power amplifier and also different music. 

Most of time, XLR make the sound bigger and If you like it,you choose.

Also XLR might lose some small sound,if you do not like it,you choose RCA.

It is all my experience. 

Balanced will always sound louder, but your system isn’t going to be capable of playing louder. So you have to adjust the volumes to be the same for a true comparison of quality.. Fortunately my Audio Research equipment allows that. So I can flip between them with the volume equalized.

The only direct comparisons I have done was with Transparent cables and Audio Research gear (all balance designs). I was not able the discern a difference. 

I think in most cases it is negligible or at most a small difference. If the component design is balanced and you use single ended interconnects… then inside the components are converters to change from balanced to single ended and visa versa.  In high end equipment, the designer puts effort and high quality sub components into doing it. 

XLR cables cost more… often a lot more. If I was relatively young I would go with balanced… component design is headed that way. But if I was on a budget you can save money on single ended. But as has been pointed out to be sure with your components, you have to try to be sure.