facebook sharing button 

messenger sharing button  

twitter sharing button 

pinterest sharing button

whatsapp sharing button

linkedin sharing button

email sharing button

SME Classic Series M2 Tonearms Available

SME announces the made to order Classic Series M2 tonearms in 9- and 12-inch varieties, straight or J-shaped.

The shock news that SME was leaving the separate tonearm business back in 2019 sent ripples through the audiophile world. However, the respected British brand has today announced the release of the Classic Series M2 range.

SME Classic Series M2 Tonearm

SME tells us that “the introduction of the new VA tonearm compliments the magnesium range of tonearms fitted to SME turntables, which provides an opportunity for the highly credible M2 Series to be assigned to a Classic Range now available for individual retail sales. “

The Classic M2 Series is a class-leading tonearm famous for its precision instrument quality and ultimate sonic performance and is available in 9-inch and 12-inch versions in straight and ’J’ shaped tubes; the latter is denoted by the R in its name.

SME Classic Series M2 Tonearm

The M2-9 is the standard arm having a pivot-stylus dimension of 233.2 mm (9.18-inches) and the M2-12 has a pivot-stylus dimension of 308.8 mm (12.16-inches).

The SME Classic Series M2 is made to order and starts at an RRP of £2,380 for the M2-9, with the M2-12 costing £2,628.00. The M2-9R is priced at £3,108.00, and the 12-inch version costs £3,348.00. All prices include VAT.

Visit SME for more information

Gallery

128x128yogiboy

@photomax and @has2be 

totally agree - ridiculously over-priced.

SME was taken over by the man behind Padood - an Indian multi-billionaire. I think they don't have the same steady approach - ie bought Garrard. The Model 60 and now the bizarre decision to stop selling arms - and then come back with the 'classics' over-priced. I do not get this strategy which seems scattergun and not by someone who truly appreciates audio. BTW I am Asian myself so this is not a pop at someone from my part of the world - just a simple observation

@has2be, I would take one of Jeff's Audiomods series six arms at less than half the cheapest SME arm listed above, all day ... any day. Especially an arm that can play right along side the SME series IV and V arms .

I own a SME Series IV and was fortunate to be able to select it as a Tonearm following a demonstration of it at a HiFi Event, where it was able to be compared to the Series V. At this time with my experience in listening and on the system used to carry out the demonstrations, using two identical TT's, I was not able to determine where the V was presenting as an improved model over the IV.

Today I also own a AudioMods Series Five Micrometer, and can not make any claims where the SME IV is a noticeably improved Tonearm.

There was a period where the Tonearms seemed to be so similar, I was considering having the IV overhauled and have more up to date parts added to it, to see if improvements were able to be created.

Neither of these Tonearms are used by myself today as the daily used Tonearms.

The most recent developments is that a friend who is building their own design of Tonearm, has also got a few hooks, using modern materials, they would like to use on a Rega Arm they own, and I am to loan the SME IV to be used as a comparison the trials.

We have already discussed that the Rega as Standard and being compared to the IV will most likely share many similarities, as the V and the IV are only present today because the Rega Designs and the Support they received in the early days of the Brands Launch, seriously impacted on the SME 3009/3012 Sales.

SME have not appeared for many years to have adopted a updated technology for their Tonearms, where as Rega Designs has evolved into a Variety of other Brands Products, where new technologies are in use, to gain the improvements that are seen as attractive. 

A Rega TT and Tonearm was less to purchase than a SME Tonearm, in the UK at this time, I think a quite accurate guestimate is that nearly every individual between the age of 14 - 20 with a interest in Vinyl LP's owned Rega equipment.  

As in all things I comment on today, using ones ears as the Judge is the only method I know that works to determine how attractive a device is to a person, and whether one Model vs another, can offer a noticeable difference, being perceived as for the better.

Nope. Not ever.

SME was taken over by the man behind Padood - an Indian multi-billionaire

@noromance 

Its a guy called Ajay Babauro shirke. I spoke to a someone who was a former UK importer who knows him. He also has a hand in Spendor.