How do you make a final decision on a DAC

Thank you all for helping me along the way. I've been trying to decide on a DAC for my 2 channel system. I listen to JUST R&R  60's, 70's, 80's more or less and stream from my windows based Pc Via Amazon HD (which I really enjoy)  loudly currently through my Benchmark DAC 3B, and my Audiolab 6000 Transport. Associated equipment:  Should be here this week after waiting 7 months, ATI amp, 6002, Benchmark Line amp LA-4, Tekton SE Double Impacts and an SVS sb 4000 sealed sub. Really enjoy.  A ceiling of 5K is somewhat available, # 1 choice is Denafrips Terminator 2, (a little nervous as once you order it's yours) Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 SE, Aqua La Voce 3.  Don't really want a preamp/Dac combo, just a DAC. Listen in a very large shop area with great acoustics. ( just by chance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling hair out at this point, what little there is.  Thanks as always    Robert TN   ps service is a big priority!!!!

robshaw

Instead of the Terminator 2, I have the Pontus ll and the Venus ll is supposed to be very good as well.

All the best.

JD

To answer Tomstruck: My preferred brand, when I can get it is a large bottle of Buffalo Trace!!    Thanks all !!!!

You might take a look at the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC.   Its FPGA based and they have a purdy good reputation for service.  They used to have a try and buy (satisfaction guarantee) and  I  think they will take existing equipment on trade if your interested in that.   

my experience with Digital Music is there are various capabilities/components required.  a DAC by itself can only get you so much.  How do you intend to use the DAC?

1. For digital streaming - Tidal/Quboz

2. For digital file playback – DSD/FLAC files

3. For CD/Video playback – connected to a TV or CD player etc.,

For the above use cases, I’ve explored system comprised of;

1. DAC (in my case upgraded from Matrix Saber Pro to Mola Mola Tambaqui, which is night and day. not even in the same league.  I evaluated the Chord Dave, DcS Bartok, and Tambaqui)

2. Streamer (in my case, I'm using a stock intel NUC running Roon ROCK and a custom fan-less, LPS powered Windows 11 PC with a JCAT XE USB Card, running JRiver. I’m evaluating Aries G2.1 and Grimm MU 1.  Grimm MU 1 connected to the Tambaqui using AES/BUE, not USB, is magical, where the built-in up sampler comes into play)

3. Up Sampler (in my case, I’m using Matrix X-SPDIF 2 USB Interface into the Matrix Saber Pro for a noticeable but small improvement in SQ.  In my Auditions, I have found the FPGA base up sampling in the Grimm MU 1, especially combined with the Tambaqui, is even better, for me, than the Chord Dave + M-Scaler)

4. Network Switch (in my case, I’m using the EtherRegion, not in production anymore, and I find the Network Acoustics ENO + Ethernet cable a clear improvement over the EtherRegion, but not sure either of devices will benefit the Grimm MU 1, as I have not tested that combo)

System Path for Roon/Tidal

Stock Intel NUC running ROON Rock, reading files from a Synology NAS and streaming from Tidal Unifi Switch  ENO Tambaqui Network port, with Ipad for control

System Path for Digital File Playback

Custom, fan—less, LPS powered Windows PC with local SSD file storage and m2.PCIE boot drive, through JCAT EX USB card running JRiver Tambaqui USB port

System Path for TV

LG OLED TC Tambaqui Optical Port

Tambaqui MC2500 Pre-Amp MC601 Monoblocks B&W 802 D2 + B&W D1 Sub

Hope that helps explain what I have learnt, a DAC by itself is only able to do so much and you have to look at the end-to-end flow of the system when matching and picking a DAC.

I had a Terminator and now have the Terminator Plus.  I found the best input to be the HDMI and use a Denafrips Iris DDC to change USB to I2S.  The Terminator 2 has the clock out to sync the DDC and it is worth it, but even without using the clock out the I2S is better than USB.  But, I did have a music server with I2S out that was not as good as it's USB, beware not all I2S is good.

The Terminator Plus is better than the original Terminator with any input.