Class A or Class D solid-state amplifiers (modern designs)

Hey guys.

Class A is supposedly superior. Something to do with a conduction angle of 360 degrees...so the entire signal gets processed in one go without crossover distortion.

But in terms of sound quality (subjective enjoyment) is there a benefit to Class A? Can class D provide the same level of enjoyment?

The dealer I’m talking to says that really nice Class A amplifiers are designed for "reference quality" meaning completely true to the real life performance.

Let’s compare and contrast. Which one is technically better?

In other words, could you have equal technical performance and quality in a Class D amp?

- Jack.

jackhifiguy

Every time, and I mean every time, I put my Musical Fidelity A1-2008 Class A SS amp back in the system (replacing either a QUAD 909 or Transcendent Sound T8-LN OTL tube amp) I listen for about 10 minutes and then say "holy crap!" I forgot how incredible this sounds!

Pretty amazing when a solid state amp can equal or even in some areas even best t a high end OTL Tube amp.

I just spent several months comparing the AGD Audion mono blocks to my Coda #16 amp and have made my choice. The AGD’s are very, very good. I think they sound spectacular but my Coda has something that I prefer. There is a deep dynamic snap that the Coda produces that I love. It is the best SS amp I’ve ever heard. There is a considerable price difference here and the 110 lbs of the Coda means I’m not moving it by myself.

My dealer says he’s bringing the AGD Gran Vivace over for a listen so we will see how it stacks up to the Coda. Price wise it’s more apples to apples.

You owe it to yourself to listen to a Sugden A21, pure class A solid state. 

In the last 5 years I have owned quite a few class D amps, the EVS 1200 being the best of them, but when I tried the LSA Voyager 350, I was shocked and remain very happy 1.5 years later