Just my observation - seems like there is less listed on AG

Seems to me like there is less and less gear listed on audiogon... compared to USAM.  Anyone else notice this?

joey_v

I just sold 2 items on USAM, one of them 10 minutes after listing it, and the other in about one month. I don't see it as any less effective that Audiogon, and it's free.

I've been here since '98, and the difference is that it used to be mostly private parties, and you could speak to them on the phone. Now there are so many dealers trying to sell big ticket items to rich guys, and they can afford the expensive ads.

I stopped listing when AG years ago when they demanded a percentage, so I just checked what their current requirements are, but could not find it. That smells like they're afraid to post it!

AG has evolved away from what was originally a bulletin board listing service with a cooperative theme to the fee structure to a business model that, while more reasonable than EBay, more closely resembles the latter model. USAM’s structure allows the hobbyist side of the market a place to have fun. The rise of successful USAM higher dollar listings has corresponded inversely to rising AG fees. Elasticity of demand.

+1 @ghasley 

Why would anyone list here for exorbitant fees when they can sell the same item on USAM for free 🤑 

I met and now have several photography friends since joining dpreview.

Here they try to prevent us from sharing contact information with each other, I presume so we won’t sell ’outside’ of their fee. I don’t mind the fee to sell, I pre-pay even though an item is more likely to sell elsewhere. It's not much to contribute for what I learn in the discussions and help I get from members here.

But I do resent having to sneak my info to members. 3 members have come here and we enjoyed listening to music together, share our equipment histories ... I’ll be visiting their homes soon.

Like minded friends is a tremendous gain from any forum.