What does a subwoofer solve?

My previous amps were BHK 300 mono blocks.  The bass they provided for my Monitor Audio PL 300ii speakers was exceptional.  For several reasons I replaced the BHKs with a Luxman M900u.  Very happy with the new amp, except for disappointing bass performance.  Would a set of good subwoofers help resolve this, or do subwoofers only address a lack of bass in standard speakers?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

lldd

do you need a subwoofer ifd your source does'nt have the lows that a subwoofer would produce??

g_nakamoto

I think that your question answers itself. 

In my case, I was appreciative of the difference in performance that a good sub made. In a few recordings, I knew that the subsonic signature was there, but didn't experience it until the was in place. Yes, partially due to the fact that main speakers were not burdened with the task, but also because the information was there and is now being reproduced to a higher degree. 

I do not use any crossover to limit the main speakers. Instead, I play them out as far as they will go (Avantgarde Duos- older) and match the integrated woofers to the midrange for coherence. That means the speaker is bass-shy. I did a couple things when I moved from NYC area to Texas: I installed a pair of 15" sealed subs, tuned to match the integrated woofers in the Avantgarde (easy, given phase, gain and crossover frequency and slope)-- and not crazy expensive- Rthymik -: I also added DSP, on the cheap (DSpeaker 803_ II or whatever), It kills the peaks.

And it is improved by a change in cartridges- alas, that wasn’t cheap. Koetsu stone mo’fos. They have some seriously tonal, dimensional bass. I was using Airtights before, and LYras before that. As they say, -----

search bar is your friend...  this question *might* have been asked before, just maybe ... 😂

If you listen to rap I guess.. boom boom boom...subs are for home theater...never find one in my system, no way...my speakers go plenty low for me....