“House” Character of Popular $20-$30k Speakers

I’ll be upgrading my speakers in a bit (after I add a turntable to my system). I’ve always thought that people two often end up attempting to correct or compensate for a quality they don’t like in one of their system components. My thought is that speakers and amps shouldn’t try to “correct” each other, but rather, they should complement each other, while sharing many similar qualities in their sonic signatures.

With that in mind, I’d describe my Gryphon Diablo 300 with the internal DAC (fed by an InnuOS Zenith MK3 streamer) as being rich, lively, engaging, slightly warm but moderately detailed, with dramatic dynamic swings that can often simulate a live sound. Smooth but energetic and engaging at the same time. My speakers I’ll be upgrading from are B&W 803 D2’s. Big full and bold sound but with finesse and moderate quickness too.

What brand of speakers would be along the lines of the sound I describe above? I’d be hoping to follow this sonic signature in my next speaker purchase, but adding some small capabilities with transparency and detail, imaging, and low end presence.

The speaker brands I have in mind to look into are:

-Magico (would check out the A5’s. I hear the A5’s could be too analytical for some, but have an excellent and clean bass presence.  Bust most rave about the A5)

-Sonus Faber (heard these are too relaxed for some?)

-Wilson Audio (if I can get over how they look)

-Monitor Audio

-Dynaudio: Maybe this brand could be a sweet spot?

-B&W: I’ve tested many and find them lacking in bass presence resulting in a mid forward style. That said the 802 D3’s I auditioned matched the sonic character of their upper ranges very well.

Would be interested in how others describe the house sounds if the brands above…

nyev

The paradigm persona 7f or 9h would end your search. I thought the Be mid and tweeter would steal the show but it was the quality, quantity, speed, and articulation of the bass that kept amazing me. My hegel h360 wasn't the best match for the mids and a pair of kef blades came up locally I wanted to try so I sold them. I have heard the persona properly set up and they are exceptional.

I have always loved SF’s take on what music sounds like. Who knows better than the Italians? And one of the most real sounding speakers I have heard were Rockports.

what gear / amplification was paired with the A5’s when you listened to them?

I did not demo the A5.  I’ve heard the A3, S1,S3, S5mk2, M2, M3, M6 so I am very familiar with Magico house sound.  My electronics are the Constellation Inspiration Pre+Stereo which is more neutral than your Diablo.  As mentioned before, you won’t know if you like the A5+Diablo unless you try for yourself- speaker preferences are very subjective. 

I have heard all of those. Cost no object I like the Wilson’s the best but I think they are a poor buy these days at their current price. Lots of stuff almost as good or technically better for less but Wilson’s are fun (extra bass) while being accurate enough. 

Please let us know your  findings. I found a Diablo 300 about 4 hours south of me in Austin, TX. Hoping to go check it out next month. Might make a weekend of it and go to Houston to check out a Vitus RI-101 MK 2, those 2 Integrateds have my curiosity piqued.