Do larger planar speakers produce more accurate sound?

Planar speakers generate sound pressure via vibrating membrane panels. The excursion of the membrane x radiating area= sound pressure. This would mean that for a given sound level, membranes have smaller excursion in larger planar speakers than in smaller ones. Does this mean that larger speakers will produce more accurate sound?

I am not talking about the obvious benefits of the larger speakers in terms of low frequency production, so let's not get into that.

128x128chungjh

I have been enchanted with Quads… old and new. My friend and dealer added the line about 15 years ago. I loved them, stopped buy several times, considered buying them… but didn’t. In fact everyone loved them… he carried them for years… and never sold a single pair… not one. I was shocked to hear this a few days ago when we were chatting.

@helomech: If you want to hear a Maggie with midbass punch, try to find a pair of the 3-panel Tympani models. Harry Pearson mated the two bass panels from a Tympani with the m/t panels from the Infinity IRS to create his own "super speaker".

The best midbass I've ever heard was that produced by my pair of Tympani T-IVa. But the Tympani bass panels need:

1- To be braced. Mye makes a stand for the Tympani. One guy on the Planar Speaker Asylum runs a plank of wood from his Tympani panels to the wall behind them!

2- To be placed at least 5' from the wall behind them. However, they may be placed right up against the side walls, which has the added benefit of eliminating the front-to-back dipole cancellation on the sides of the panels against the walls. Free bass!

3- A LOT of power, the more the better. 

A note to planar lovers, whether of the magnetic-planar variety (Magnepan, Eminent Technology), ESL, or ribbon: The Tympani bass panel is a GREAT sub for your speaker.

chungjh, yes, Music Direct and MOFI are the same company.

No one here has mentioned Acoustats. Anyone own these and if so, what are your thoughts?

@erik_squires 

You say in general panels are as flat as cones.

F'rinstance Martin Logan CLXs are +-3dB from 56 to 23000 Hz.  How much flatter would you like?

They sure sound good as well.  I have used panels for around 40 years now.  I don't miss the last octave, yes and octave from 55Hz to 27.5Hz, although bottom B on a Steinway Model D (the lowest note in music) is 30.87Hz.  For those that do, get subwoofers.

@clearthinker

You say in general panels are as flat as cones.

Well actually I made the opposite claim.

F’rinstance Martin Logan CLXs are +-3dB from 56 to 23000 Hz. How much flatter would you like?

Super poor example. I can’t find published measurements, and you are literally cherry picking a single $25,000 multi-way planar speaker. Trying to refute my claim of "general" with a very specific and unusual planar isn’t really a good way to get to clear thinking my friend.   You also seem to have completely ignored my opening caveats:

It varies a great deal, but usually...

So I can be 100% correct and the CLX may still be unusually good performers. There's no conflict in these two statements, but I would love to see a frequency response chart just for giggles.