Audio Research Ref 75 SE: Replace 20A IEC inlet with 15A

Has anyone successfully replaced the 20A IEC inlet with a 15A to use a good 15A power cord?  I am currently using 2 Voodoo adapters: a 20A female to 15A male + a right-angle 15A adapter due to the depth of the amp causing it to come up against the wall.  Less than ideal, but works fine and sounds great.

Since the amp doesn't require 20A circuit it would be nice to replace the 20A inlet on the amp with a good quality 15A inlet for a direct connection to the power cord.

If anyone has done this, which 15A inlet did you use?  Does it fit well in the amp's cutout and were you able to use the existing screw on connectors to fasten the internal wires or did you have to solder them?

eugene81

An often overlooked reason to have what appears to be an "over-kill" component where a lesser one would suffice is that its just easier to stock one item rather than two.  The 20 amp will certainly work in place of the 15 amp.  I am not familiar with all of ARCs current offerings, but it wouldn't surprise me if they all have the same plug.

Regards,

barts

i think arc went to 20a sockets on all their ref series tube amps so the 75 got it too ... not that it is needed for its relatively modest power draw... i think arc just felt the tighter socket is a good idea, so all the amps get it

my thinking is its stupid to mod such a nice and expensive amp just for the power cord... unless the owner plans to keep it forever...

IME, a 20 amp iec works less well if placed vertically ( like most amps are designed..including the ARC REF 75) than a 15 amp iec if the 15amp iec is placed horizontally from a socket grabbing perspective. Very few amp designers place their iec’s horizontally, which means that the cable is always pulling down and away from the socket...not a very good idea IMHO.

Swapping the cable connector is the easiest and best way to approach this. Keep the amp original. Get a good Furutech (or something similar) 20amp connector and swap it on your cable. VH Audio is an excellent source for quality connectors. Great prices and Chris can advise on what connector would fit and sound best.
One additional thought - I’d look into replacing both the male and female AC connectors on the cable.
It will most likely be an upgrade…look into Furutech FI-50 NCF. Expensive but worth every penny.

I forgot about VH!  I ordered a Wattgate 350i HC Au from PartsConnexion after my last post.  Lucky me, they are doing 20% on AC products for the month of April.  Just going to replace the one end for now.  I just overhauled 2 whole systems, and this one is for the bedroom where I'm less critical about it, so I'll give my wallet a break while I get cozy with all the new stuff.  Of course it's only a matter of time before I start going down the rabbit hole of tweaks.  Not sure I want to hear the difference the top end Furutech stuff brings because I might like it too much!  I've got 8 power cords, not counting power conditioners, and if I really like the upgrade on one of them... well I think we all know how it goes with this disease! 😄