Solid State Phono Stages

I used to be an all-tube guy, but I’ve now ventured into the realm of high-end solid state with T+A and no longer have any itch to go back heavily into tubes. Now, the only tubes I have left in my system are in my Modwright PH9.0X phono, and from what I’ve demoed against it, it seems to be a giant killer. I do love it, but I’m curious to try a higher end solid state phono stage to see what more noise and more music might sound like. Unfortunately T+A does not have a standalone phono stage, so I’m looking at other manufacturers and open to other opinions.

I currently have a Clearaudio Innovation Wood table and Air Tight PC-1s cartridge. i listen to a wide range of music, from Zeppelin to Vivaldi to Beck to Coltrane to Yello. The stage would ideally have between 65-74db of gain, maybe adjustable to 60db at minimum, and have variable impedance values. A balanced output stage would be ideal. I don’t ever really plan to have a second arm, but most stages that retail over $7K tend to have multiple inputs anyways.

My budget would be at tops ~$8K for a used unit. The unit that is sticking out to me from what I’m reading about is the Simaudio Moon 810LP. Another high on the list is the Esoteric E-02. I’ve also come across the Pass XP-27, the Gold Note PH-1000.

I’m looking for a stage with some personality in its character, not one that is overly refined. I’d love for it to be dynamic and bold when it should be, and also gentle and refined when it should be.

The only solid state stages I’ve ever owned and tried were the Pass Labs Xono, which was clean sounding but a little noisy and brittle sounding compared to a PS Audio Stellar Phono. I’ve liked all my tube phono stages better than both of those units.

I’ve also considered going further up the tube stage route, looking at Doshi 3.0, Aesthetix IO Eclipse, but I’m hesitant unless I can hear those in place. 

What solid stage phono stages have you loved, and what have you compared them to?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xblisshifi

Having heard many of the Phonostages mentioned here and some more, my 2 cents 1. The likes of PS Audio Stellar and JC3+ are good value but they ultimately sound like a sub 5k phonostage. They touch the high end end of the game.

Simaudio 610 and Avid Pulsare 2 are the 2 best SS Phonostages in this price range that I have heard. They are not too polished. They sound raw and have that bold drive in their presentation. Tonality, Prat and Dynamics, all proper and in the high end league.

@holmz Sutherland is now definitely on my consideration set.

@bigkidz Thank you for the offer to audition the Tom Evans. I’ve known two people who have owned it locally but didn’t get a chance to listen to it before they moved on from them. I will let you know if I’d like to take you up on it but balanced outs to the preamp would be a priority for me as I am considering moving my table away from my main system.

@jjss49 Lehmann has a good rep for sure, and I admittedly haven’t considered them. I’ve also forgotten about Ayre and never looked into their phono stages. That will be something I’ll need to do. I know Ayre has had some reputation of having a dry sound, but I’ve found their reference level gear to be quite incredible.

@au_lait and others - ever compare an XP-25 with the XP-27? How big is the improvement on the 27? That’s something I’ve been curious about.

@pani You too are advocating and validating Simaudio for me. I also was a fan of your ART-9 thread, which is still one of my favorite carts to date. When my last one died, I went to the DV-1s, then ART-1000 and liked neither. I then sold both and found the Air Tight PC-1s, which has the same character as the ART-9 but at much higher fidelity and grace. I also agree with your comments on the Stellar Phono and  JC3+. I’ll have to look into the Pulsare 2 as I haven’t even heard of that one!

and others - ever compare an XP-25 with the XP-27? How big is the improvement on the 27? That’s something I’ve been curious about.

I haven’t compared xp25 to xp27, but read a bit from people that have. In the end I found a good deal on the xp25 and it was already quite a jump from my RCM Sensor II.

@thiefoflight  : The suggestion on the Boulder 508 is very good too and along the SimsAudio all the others, including the ARs and your MR,  are beated easily.

Just an opinion.

R.