God doesn't need to know what time it is.

Value of anything is a most fascinating subject to me.

Eric Clapton hasn't owned this  Rolex Daytona for nearly 20 years. It 's probably been in storage since he dumped it and is expected to fetch north of $1.6M?

For that much I'd want his playing ability AND his stereo system.

tablejockey

I'm old school. I like the feel of a proper watch on my wrist. I have a few nice ones, some older, but nothing like the big dollar bling that is thrown around these days. Watch-making is both science and art. Some of the designs are fascinating (and I pretend to know very little about the watch making art). To @bdp24, it's another way to spend money, a hobby, some pursue with a passion. 

I had a friend back in NY who was seriously into cars. He managed to get the stopwatch Steve McQueen used in the movie Le Mans. He can afford it. 

Daytonas seem to be some of the most collectible Rolexes for both neophytes and serious collectors. Nice watch. Not worth millions, other than for provenance and bragging rights, but I understand it. Is the money going to a charity? 

larsman

583 posts

@secretguy + 1  Though I wouldn't say Clapton can't play - he obviously can and has done so for decades - he just doesn't play anything I'd care to listen to! 

He's a hack. Any actual, trained musician would agree.

«God is the clock in your heart and  the clock maker himself but  you can throw the 2 hands of the clock at whichever time   you want to be...» Anonymus widow  of a watchmaker 

bdp24--I owned an original ’65 Deluxe Reverb for 20 years and never understood why everyone else thought it was the desert island amp (and just where do you find electricity on a desert island?). I later found that what I really wanted was a Vibrolux Reverb. Different strokes, I suppose.

I lost my last watch years ago and never replaced it.

secretguy, I am an actual trained musician and I think the stuff EC did from Mayall through Blind Faith is outstanding.  Love the studio solos with Cream.

I thought this was going to be a thread about the use or non use of master clocks for dacs, etc.  

I don’t even wear a watch.  A friend gave me some very good copies of expensive watches.  She thought it might be a nice accessory, as I was on the dating scene a number of years ago, but always forgot to wear them.  I did buy a super expensive bottle of Creed men’s cologne that was quite helpful.