Is it me? Will I ever be satisfied?

As we have become empty nesters, we put together or are putting together a nice dedicated two channel system consisting of B&W 804 D3, Levinson No. 333 ( this is an older amp 20+ years old), McIntosh C22 (just purchased) in which I have already upgraded the tubes, Linn Lp12 TT, Blue Sound for streaming.  I am using Transparent balanced cables and Transparent speaker cables - not sure of the exact model, but all Transparent cables are close to 20 years old as well.

My questions, while I think the system sounds good - even really good.  I don't think it sounds great.  I recently purchased the C22 to be used with the No. 333 which I replaced a McIntosh MA252, which i really like and use in another system, it didn't have enough power.  My room is our garage which we converted to a playroom years ago.  It is approximately 25' and 20' wide.  We sit about 12' from the speakers which are at one end of the room .. While I realize that this hobby or lifestyle can be never ending....  I am considering upgrading the cables next and last but not least, add a new Amp, McIntosh MC462 or MC312.

Wanted to get some feedback, thoughts, in site, advice what you experience, am I missing anything?  Thanks

goducks44

I strongly suggest you optimize your room before spending any more money. I think you know by now that our hobby has us  always trying to improve our sound and to me that is part of the fun.

I would go with C and B drivers. They are the best and have the most resolution. Then switch over to Smith Brothers speaker cables, they’re best if you leave them plugged in and let them run all night. If they stop in the middle of the night just put a little bit of lube around the tip and then re-insert and they’ll fire right back up. When you get to the power cord don’t go with any less than a FBC 16awg with.9999999 full arabica silver. It’s the only way to go.

Hey Pato,

Where do you live. Oregon, Portland, Eugene. Seattle?

Lots of excellent ideas to think about.

If you are in Portland, we have a group called The Audiofoos (because we foolishly spend money on foolishness). Our wives tend to agree.

If you can find a few audiophiles in your area with whom you can share this great hobby, look them up and see/hear other systems. If you're lucky, you can try a few pieces, etc.

I tend to I agree with- room treatment first.

Go Ducks!

Synergy could be an issue? Has the Levinson 333 been serviced? Might be due? Have you considered upgrading to an 804 D4?  Your gear has very good resale value take advantage of that and upgrade ASAP.

I think dialing in speaker positioning, researching what reasonable room treatments (aesthetics and space constraints should be observed if such things are important - if not, go nuts!) are viable, and try applying these practices to your listening room.  We can’t all be so lucky to have perfect rooms AND top-notch gear.  

I would suggest asking yourself what is the least-strong, most-lacking sonic element in your listening experience.  If the answer to this question can yield, after some studious research, potentially viable remedies, try them out.  Those are wonderful speakers.

I find that this rabbit hole induces more grief than enjoyment.  This isn’t a way to live.  You have wonderful gear, it sounds like you have a good-sized room to fill with beautiful music.

This doesn’t have to be a terminal illness. Exercise due care with the speaker positioning, maximize your room’s potential, and keep in mind that the ideal life is something equal-to or greater-than a 2:1 ratio; for every hour you spend chasing your tail, you should spend at least 2 hours enjoying beautiful music.  I know this sounds like proselytizing, and I know getting out of the psychological quagmire is easier said than done.  I’ve been there, believe me.

I think with some reasonable expectations and sensible choices (technically and personally) you could have a wonderful life with music.