peachtree gan 400 is very good

you know this is class d - i know its been talked about for better or worse and it might be a little passe already - in terms of whats hot right now. But this happens to be a very good amplifier.

It does the subtle things really well - it wont dazzle you at all - its charming though

it really grows on you - at first your like -"whats so special about this amp - another let down" - then after a couple of weeks of listening - (i know a couple of weeks) it

it started to reveal its liquidity and charmingness - remember nothing is thrusted at you - so its hard to pinpoint because in the beginning, the amp sounds so ordinary

but if you are patient - you get rewarded (not in razzle dazzle)  but in everything you play sounding good (again if the recording is good)

its as good as any tube amp - for the same price - its cleaner and just as good tonally

128x128smargo

I think there’s a strong argument that the amps which immediately impress are the ones to hesitate about and the ones which make no immediate impression are often worthy of more thought. That’s not an absolute rule obviously but I do think it generally holds true.

so true - although i am ever so guilty of the amp that impresses right away over the years and not really head over heels with it a month later - this seems like the reverse of that

I have a feeling break-in may have also played a role here. Nevertheless, whenever a solid state amp is likened to a tube amp in any way, it’s usually a good and welcomed thing. Thanks for your feedback! GaN amps in general really seem to have closed some sizable gaps from prior generations of Class D amps. When @atmasphere develops a GaN amp, that gets my attention and further supports the melding of GaN with tube-like qualities without the hassle of tubes nor the energy bill penalty.

your right on about gan amps - especially this one - closing some gaps I think its also a given - and also you need a decent preamp to get the performance i am talking about,

you cant use a preamp - that costs $200 tube or solid state and expect the amp to sound good - you cant - you got to have a preamp that allows the amp to sound good - so many preamps put the cabash on an amp - and that person then thinks the amp is no good - when it could be the preamp not lending itself