Buying used vs new speakers from a technology perspective

Do you believe a speaker's components like drivers and crossovers can become "outdated" for lack of a better word? For instance say someone is selling a pair of speakers that cost $10k in 2008 for $5k now. Comparing that speaker to a modern day $5k new speaker only looking at driver design/drivers, cabinet construction, crossover components/layout and other materials what kind of technology gap are we looking at? 

Have there been technologies or designs that have come out in the past few years that you couldn't live without after hearing? 

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

There has probably been a bigger improvement in more affordable speakers over the decades as improved materials and techniques from higher end speakers trickles down. The Kef LS50 is a good case in point where the driver technology is much better now than it was than when the Uni-Q was introduced several decades ago. Also, as a simple fact, offshoring manufacturing has improved price/performance ratios. Note that I am making no comment on whether this is a good or bad thing, or any shade thereof.

As a final comment, when you look across various manufacturers, you sometime come across u turns and blind alleys where through a change of designer or strategy one generation of product may be worse than the one that preceded it.

A company like Wilson Audio (for example)  has avoided this by having a very coherent set of design principles and then continually refining what it does based on those principles. As a result, there has been quite audible improvement in the speakers across generations.

However, the older Wilsons are still great buys used as they were fundamentally right to start with. The same applies to the various BBC based designs, and the Quad ESL 57.

Not being one who frequented shops, shows or other audiophiles' homes, I continued to greatly enjoy my 3 decade old Von Schweikert VR4.5 silver, as I gradually upgraded other components in my system.  Recently  I gave them away and purchased a new pair of REVEL Salon 2.  Honestly, the new ones improve on the old in many ways, but I still could have been happy continuing to live with the old....I guess the point is what one wishes....good sound or the feeling that they own what they have felt to be the best "value" for them......some need SOTA, some need best bang for the buck, some need a certain "sound"...to each there own, there is no right answer, of course....

There is no single, simple answer to these questions.  Some new drivers and technologies are quite good, though not necessarily better than all that preceded it,, and a lot of older gear/technology has stood the test of time.  My all time favorite midrange driver is a horn compression driver made around 1939.  I can also think of a number of older woofers that are pretty hard to beat in certain respects.  There are some vintage parts for crossovers that are still sought after for making modern speakers.  

The only thing I’d be worried about is the foam surrouds on the drivers....they will rot out after 20 years. Other than that, speakers have not changed all that much really. Old Tannoy, Altec Lansing, and Electro Voice Interface were some of the best speakers ever made and are still desirable even today.

Magico, Tidal, Von Schweikert, and Rockport (etc.) all utilize advanced enclosure technology. Tidal and Magico especially use very advanced speaker cone technology. Crossover components are also improved vs 20 years ago.

How they sound in comparison? I am a relative noob and don't have the experience many on this forum have, but the technology aspect is one of my draws to this hobby. 

You will definitely pay a premium for the most advanced technology, doesn't necessary mean you will like it better though.