Are there speakers that disappear regardless of the recording?

I have a pair of B&W 805d3’s. Strictly analog system. Source is the Clearaudio Ovation, Hana SL cart. Herron VTPH-2A phono stage. Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp. The speakers sound great most of the time. I have many records that cause the speakers to essentially disappear with a holographic sound stage, beautiful imaging and great dynamics. Some other records, not so much. Curious if there’s a way to achieve disappearing speakers no matter what recording you throw at them? Thanks!

paulgardner

The only ones I suggest are Magneplaners, but you need to have them set-up properly and you need quality hardware.  They only reproduce what you give them, so speak to a good dealer and have them set up IN YOUR ROOM and see what you think.

Don't listen to any of us; make up your own mind ONCE YOU LISTEN.

Cheers!

Sorry if I offended anyone….

Revel M126Be are a nice pair that work very well in older houses and or smaller rooms. Not cheap, but I liked them better than the cheaper priced B&W bookshelves. Just an opinion….

Assuming the speakers themselves aren’t resonating excessively it is always the room and placement.

Also, keep in mind that B&W’s may sound a lot better on the mid axis than the tweeter axis. Experiment with sitting there. Also, toe them out a little.

Having said this, there are some recordings with instruments hard left or hard right, and that may break the illusion, especially if your soundstage is usually behind your speakers.