Why are Nottingham Analogue Studio turntables so expensive in USA?

Hello all

I am in search of a ~$3000 turntable and thought I had finally found the one after months of searching, the Hyperspace from Nottingham Analogue Studio. I liked its slightly dark natural tone with deep bass retrieval, plus good timing and tempo. It can also accommodate two tonearms which makes it future-proof.

The problems I have is the price of this turntable in the USA. The official dealer for this turntable sells it for almost $7000 whereas the UK price is about €3300. Its nearly twice the price and at first I could not believe what I was seeing. Sure, it takes dealers passion and love for audio gears when they set the price, but this seemed utterly outrageous to me. Do you guys agree with this price? performance-wise? Do you recommend any other turntable brands that has the sound I am after?

Before checking out the price for the Hyperspace, I also looked at Small Audio Manufacture turntables from Czech Republic, Well Tempered Amadeus Jr, and Pear Audio Robinhood SE (these share some key ingredients with Nottingham TTs, but seem to have different sound signature, brighter. more resolution, and faster).

yggy1

It seems most British items are overpriced here. It may have to do with the VAT tax in Europe. Prices are much higher there do to the tax. American importers see that as a reason to price gouge here not to mention the addition of another middleman.

I try to by European products in Europe and have them shipped. Sometimes this is blocked by the manufacturer in which case I will not by whatever it is. 

There is only one work around and that if you go to Europe you buy the item there, ship it back yourself and go through the hassle of getting a tax refund. 

I think the 3300 pounds is without arm. Price with arm in US dollars is about $5233 US.

$6950 is the U.S. price. Typical markup for imported high end audio.

It’s the US distributor who most often causes such a pricing distortion. Not meaning to condemn the particular distributor of NA. I owned a Hyperspace. It was a great performer made greater by the addition of a motor controller. But $7000 used to get you a Dais.