Tax Returns: Nothing, a new DAC or... ?

Hello Audiogoners,

Tax season is upon us and perhaps for the second time ever I have filed my taxes on time.  My choices are:

• Clear out my credit cards
  • A new DAC

I currently have a Mytek Brooklyn (orignal version) and am thiniking of a DAC which is a Roon endpoint, with a $5,000 budget.  I've never heard the Manhattan, or the Bricasti M5 but they are in my price point and feature set.

I really really like the Mytek Brooklyn .... but do you think in this price range I could find something that would make me pull out my card?

Or do I save my money and prepare for the end of days??

erik_squires

Credit cards definitely first.Then cut them up and pay cash only for the equipment for this hobby.

No tax return, retired. Zero debt. But, my circumstances have changed dramatically with a recent lawsuit settlement from being drilled by a truck while cycling a couple years ago. The money is invested with the interest return alone prompting me to think about a whole system upgrade. I did order a Supratek Cortese LCR and purchased a factory refurbished SOTA Sapphire-local dealer is coming this morning to mount MC cartridge and tune the Alchemy phono pre I'll use until the Cortese arrives. And here I am tis morning considering if I should pull the trigger on some used speakers that cost as much as my first house. It's good to dream.  Well, there you go. Too slow. The Vandersteen Model 7's are sold. I wonder if those Magico S5 II's are still available?

Hey @wideload stick with your Vandersteens a much more musical speaker than the Magicos IMHO. Heard both and Magico was very sterile sounding yes very even top to bottom but uninvolved. Just my opinion

@op…only since you asked, nuke the CC debt

@wideload With the Vandersteen 7 upgrade program to Extreme program underway, i expect many dealers might prefer to sell the 7 and order new Extreme… i would call around. Please note, i am biased as a 7 mk2 and 7 amplifier owner…blissfully immersive in the music…..

Best on your journey

Jim

I wouldn’t call Magico’s sterile... but cool, and smooth on the top end.

Still, given my multiple auditions of Magicos and the top end Vandersteen at a show, I’d stick with Vandersteen.

Don't know what speakers you have now, but treat the room before you upgrade speakers.