Need help to select a speaker

Hi Audiophile people,

I need help to select the smoothest speaker of all.

I grew up using Spendor, Rogers, Tannoy, Wharfedale. I was always fan of British silk sound speakers like Rogers LS35.

The harshest speaker that I had was JBL which still has a smooth sound.

I don't have time or chance to listen to all the new speakers but in need to select a near field listening speaker for Jazz, Blues, vocals, Acoustics with maximum details in low volume.

I am looking at both Bookshelf and Floor standing but I should get better sound quality from a Bookshelf speaker in my experience.

Please share your experience and let me know what I should look at.

I am looking at Brand New and under $5K.

Cheers

Mike

inteliaudio

If you’re looking for good performance at low volumes, to me, that means high sensitivity speakers.  I think Tannoy is your obvious choice.  

Graham Chartwell LS3/5 owner here.  I listen mostly at low volumes. For my tastes,I am not lacking any detail whatsoever.  They are mainly driven by First Watt amps. (J2 or F5) occasionally by a pair of Monarchy Audio SM70 mkII’s.  I think any of the British mini monitors would be a solid choice. (Harbeth,Spendor,Falcon,ProAc,Rogers…..) 

Everyone has an opinion but Dynaudio do not excel at low volume. I sold a pair of Evidence Temptations for that reason. Plenty of high end brands need the volume up a bit to sound great in my experience. 

Klipsch might be known for brightness as a brand but I heard the Cornwalls today at a dealership and they were downright smooth. Classe amp powering them. Probably not what the OP has in mind.

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the Sonus Faber. I first bought a pair of SF Cremona as an experiment to confirm my theory that these had the sound I was looking for. They confirmed it… incredibly natural, musucal but detailed as well. I ordered a pair of Olympica iii within a week (first shipment to the US, on water at the time). After seven years upgraded to Sonus Faber Amati Traditional… helping my system become the best sounding and looking I have had the pleasure of listening to ( I have listened to more than one million dollar system… impressive but not as musically involving). I find it difficult to drag myself away from it after three hours of listening a day.

I've had four pairs of Dynaudio over the years, from the entry level Audience line to the Confidence 2's and 4's... definitely not a speaker that excels at low volume and not recommended for the OP.

I agree with @rocray on recommendation of monitors from Spendor (Classic line), Graham, Falcon, Harbeth, adding Vienna Acoustics Haydn.