Why dealers disparage certain products?

Full disclosure...I've been an executive in the consumer electronics business for over 50 years. From small one man "on campus" HiFi sales, to Radio Shack franchise, to a 12 store pure HiFi chain to a 240 store publicly traded HiFi chain.

There are three reasons a dealer will disparage products:

#1...Some other dealer in the area already has the product and supports it. 

#2...The dealer could not get a line of credit for the product and doesn't have the finances to stock and sell the product. And/Or the manufacturer requires a substantial financial commitment.

#3...He/She is an honest dealer and actually auditioned the product and decided to offer an alternative

(Rule #1 in retail sales....NEVER disparage a competitor or other products.....NEVER!)

rbertalotto

It is an individual style, choice, and decision they may simply be expressing they're sincere, genuine, honest opinion and perspective even though you would never do such a thing.

You do not raise yourself up by putting someone else down.

It is the sign of a fool. Keep moving.

To OP:

I completely agree, Roy.  You and I shared the same employer for several decades.  Bad-mouthing the competition is a losing strategy, but all too common.  Passing on anecdotes about the reliability or lack thereof of opposing brands is another favorite ploy.  No one can expect any dealer to have every line of product nor to have experienced what they don't deal in in a meaningful way.  But customers about to spend big bucks want to be convinced they are making the best choice.  Positive persuasive techniques don't always do the job, so the temptation to go negative is always there.  Witness the recent contretemps between Upscale Audio and Raven regarding their respective products.

@clearthink - he's in the business of selling gear to customers; I'm not. It's his livelihood, not mine. As a potential customer, if I don't like his 'individual style', I will respond to that style by applying my own individual style, which would be walking out of his store and never coming back.