Question about Class A

So I read all the time how awesome Class A Amps/Integrated's (SS and Tube) are.

I currently have a Vincent SV-500 Hybrid and feel it sounds really good.

But I have this itch now to hear what Class A would sound like and would it be a big difference to my current Vincent.

I wanted to ask what are some good Class A Integrated's that I could look into?

I know Pass Labs always comes up and for good reason but those might be a bit out of my budget.

I would say I can probably go to $3K new or used.

Sugden is another brand that I have researched a lot and the A21 retails for around $2500 and there is a dealer in Socal that carries it, so that one is tempting.

Vincent has the SV-237 MK II but I think that is only Class A for the 1st 10 watts into 8-ohms and I have 4-ohm speakers so I am not sure if that would give me any Class A magic. I am sure it would sound similar to my SV-500 but have more base extension.

Could you all recommend any other one's? I have been researching but haven't come across any (SS or Tube).

Thanks

128x128jay73

@jay73 ,

I think your speakers will be the determining factor regarding how tubes/class A will sound, and whether it will be 'better'.

Bob

Thanks for the recommendations.

Luxman will probably be out of my budget unfortunately, as beautiful as they are.

@gdnrbob , yes, you are right. I guess I won't know until I try it. Of course I hope it sounds good.

Cary Audio looks nice too but still above budget.

Unless I can find these units around $3K or under, probably won't work for me.

I think so far, the Sugden might be a good candidate.

As was already mentioned the efficiency of your speakers will greatly impact how well a low power Class A integrated will drive them. But having said that in or about your price range (Used) I would recommend a Cary CAD 300SEI or a Pass INT-30A. The Cary is Tube and the Pass is SS. 

Chuck  

IME, in addition to higher heat and lower efficiency, there are also sonic trade-offs between Class A and Class AB amplification. After extended living with both, IMO it is not so much about one being better than another but more about selecting the type of amplification that sounds best with the types of music you listen to and with your specific speakers. Class A amplification can sound organic and natural (likely due to the absence of switching between A/B) but, at least in my experience, the trade-off can be a loss of dynamics or pure grunt compared to Class AB amplifiers of the same power rating. However, I wouldn’t get too hung up on the class of amplification since a good sounding amplifier is a good sounding amplifier regardless of class so it is more about what works best with your speakers and the music you listen to.