Synergistic Orange and purple fuses popping

Synergistic Orange and purple fuses popping

I recently upgraded all my gear with the new Synergistic orange and purple fuses (15 in all) What a difference! My Cary SLP-05 preamp with 8 Vintage Tungsten  6SN7 tubes is having problems with the Orange and Purple Synergistic fuses in the power supply. For some reason when I turn on the preamp amp after warming up the powersupply unit, the 2 power supply fuses pop. So far Synergistic has been gracious and replaced them twice now. I increased  the 2 large slow blow fuses from 1amp to 2amps after asking Cary audio what I should try. I also spoke with Synergistic and they agreed their fuses are sensitive but all the stock fuses I ever used have worked flawlessly. Any body out there with any similar problems and maybe a solution? Any upgraded hi-fi fuses that may be less prone to popping? I think it may be due to a current rush (tube related) when I go from off to on. Help!

Thanks

gregtheis

"Synergistic told me the cheaper fuses are not very accurate on their rated values so they could be significantly higher than their rating."

Have you ever looked at the catalogs from the major fuse companies? Maybe by cheaper fuses they mean imported fuses from dubious sources such as China.

If you buy fuses from a major US company than you can be sure of it's rating. If you pull up that fuse type and current rating data from that company there is likely an entire page detailing every characteristic that can be measured! They need to know exactly  how the fuse they are selling, that will wind up in consumer products, medical products ad other diversified electrical gear will behave under adverse conditions. Things like how quick it will blow during a direct short, how long that a 10 amp fuse will last passing 10.2 amps of current before it expires, if a current surge, say during startup that exceeds 10 by a large margin will hold for a specific time before it blows and so on. These important facts are presented in the manufactures catalogs. They MUST meet certain standards to get UL approval and to get that approval is not easy. 

Do these fancy fuses have all of that behind them? Even if they start out with a UL listed fuse, by modifying them, they will not meet the specs anymore.

Wait until someones house burns to the ground and the investigators pinpoint the cause to an amplifier and to there horror find it has snake oil fuses in it. That will be the end of that particular company until they open shop in another name.

BillWojo

I blew a purple Saturday and am bummed. The system was off and it had to be static electricity. SO I ordered another at 2 amps versus 1 amp SB from ALfred. I assumed it was my fault. I really dont like he stock fuse.

So where is @ted_denney on this thread?  

It’s his product that is popping and failing. Static electricity blowing a fuse?

Sounds like junk stuff to me.

Sorry but I'm not ready to play Russian Roulette with my gear or life if one of these "specialty" fuses causes a fire. 

I run Mac, Cary, VTL, DIY all are in metal cases, where is this fire suppose to happen at? I don’t own a single piece of gear that can catch on fire and cause a fire in any of my rooms. I could see if maybe a carpet caught on fire or the drapes. All of my gear is on something that can’t catch fire. Even the carpet can’t catch fire.

Am I missing something? Fuses in my gear are for GEAR protection, it has nothing to do with my protection, or my house. My home is protected by breakers. I don’t have any fuses on my stove or dryer or hot water heater or blower motor for the house, the well pumps, the TV or the computer or the plug in wall heater or the heating blanket or the heat lamp for Jr, or my back massager or my FRIGGIN ELECTRIC JACKHAMMER.

You people are NUTS. Fuses in stereo gear are to protect THEIR junk not YOURS.. Good lord what a bunch of numb nuts..

A Cary V12R has 5 fuses FIVE! That is for fire protection.. It was for Mr. Hads Amps not my house..

cakyol, you know better than that BS. Burn down your house with an amp. Funniest thing I EVER heard. The house has circuit breakers. The amp has stupid protection that all.

Here is a good one a guy buys a solar battery and put it in his house to run his stereo. BUT it gets hot and the fans come on. So he takes the heavy steal case OFF the battery and tells me he didn’t cause a potential fire issue. That is the only thing he did with a lithium battery in the center of his house. He was so stupid he could not understand the danger by removing the vapor and fan cooling control. He was preparing a bomb on his living room floor for him and all his apartment neighbor to enjoy. IF he would have left the metal case intact it was a bad idea. Lithium batteries blow up. NEVER locate large lithium batteries or even a cash of smaller ones inside a domicile. BOOM..

Stereo gear not so much.. maybe a tube fire it's all show and GLOW in a tube..