Tube Integrated vs Tube Seperates

I’m looking into buying a tube setup.  Thinking it will be Primaluna because I find tube amps a bit intimidating and I will be putting lots of hours on it. Because these factors Primaluna seems like at least a good place to start for me. Thanks to all who gave me there impressions in my previous post about Primaluna.  Anyway, looking for people’s take on tube integrated vs tube seperates. Really what I’m looking for in the move is more holographic soundstage, bloom, air, and an over all more lifelike presentation. Will I get more of these qualities by going Dialogue preamp into Dialogue amp, or with the Dialogue HP integrated, or will it be very similar?  Any thoughts are much appreciated 

brylandgoodman

I went to the dealer to listen to the Luxman 595 with Harbeth and walked out with a LM 845ia…which I had not planned to audition or even consider.  And yes, they do run a bit hot.  You’d be surprised how far 20 watts goes.  I generally listen lower though in the 80s at the most and don’t listen to rock.  I agree with all the comments about integrateds being compromised in the volume control, etc.  That’s why I mentioned in my previous post that I was amazed that I felt no lack in the clarity of the LM.  When I owned the PL integrated it was compromised IME in that way in comparison to the PL separates.  

In general I think a combination of a tube preamp and solid-state amplifiers are a great combination. You can get the warmth of the tubes with the power of the solid state and not have to worry about the tube lifespan.

Most of my tube experience is with Jadis and McIntosh--a little with Audio Research.  Others, just a hear now and again.  Of those, I've only heard integrated with Mac.  Separates always sounded a lot better than integrated when I could compare.

Having read all of the above I have logged in only to address the power concerns of SS vs tubes. I have never heard PL or any of the other tube amps/int. amps mentioned so I cannot comment on the sound comparisons.  I have a Raven Blackhawk tube int. amp. at 20 wpc and very pleased with the sound. It replaced reputable SS separates at 400 wpc/4. And I have no issues with volume. I would’ve never believed it but heard it for myself before buying. I listen to CDs and Vinyl, some rock, some classical, and alot of "classic vinyl" from A to Z, etc. My speakers are 92 db sensitive Martin Logan ESL 9s.