Tube Integrated vs Tube Seperates

I’m looking into buying a tube setup.  Thinking it will be Primaluna because I find tube amps a bit intimidating and I will be putting lots of hours on it. Because these factors Primaluna seems like at least a good place to start for me. Thanks to all who gave me there impressions in my previous post about Primaluna.  Anyway, looking for people’s take on tube integrated vs tube seperates. Really what I’m looking for in the move is more holographic soundstage, bloom, air, and an over all more lifelike presentation. Will I get more of these qualities by going Dialogue preamp into Dialogue amp, or with the Dialogue HP integrated, or will it be very similar?  Any thoughts are much appreciated 

brylandgoodman

Showing 2 responses by jimmy2615

I had a PL Dialogue Premium integrated, then the preamp and amp separately, and yes the separates were much better - a lot more clarity and detail.  I now have 2 Evo 300 monos that I use a Benchmark LA4 (solid state) preamp with, running Harbeth M30.2 and second Runwell’s comments above regarding Line Magnetic.  If you can audition, depending on what speakers you have, the LM is awesome (I have the 845ia) which is only 22 w/ch.  For classical and jazz I enjoy this integrated more than any of the above.  And it does not have less clarity than the very neutral and detailed LA4 running the PL monos, which to me was amazing.   The PL are very nice though also and you can’t go wrong with them.  The LM is just more realistic sounding and musical, to my ears.  Actually has more ‘snap’ and punch than the PL.

I went to the dealer to listen to the Luxman 595 with Harbeth and walked out with a LM 845ia…which I had not planned to audition or even consider.  And yes, they do run a bit hot.  You’d be surprised how far 20 watts goes.  I generally listen lower though in the 80s at the most and don’t listen to rock.  I agree with all the comments about integrateds being compromised in the volume control, etc.  That’s why I mentioned in my previous post that I was amazed that I felt no lack in the clarity of the LM.  When I owned the PL integrated it was compromised IME in that way in comparison to the PL separates.