CHANGING FROM AUDIO RESEARCH TO AUDIO NOTE SYSTEM 

Dear All,

I got hooked by the SET sound and am considering selling my Audio Research based system (REF 5 SE preamp and REF150 power) and Wilson SOPHIA 3 speakers. In exchange I would buy a level 3/4 system. M3 phono balanced input pre, P3 Tonnmeister power and AN E AN-E-SPe HE 98db or  AN-E/SPx ALNICO 95 dB speakers. 

However, considering the good quality I already have, I fear being a little downgraded. Wonder what is your opinion. 

My room allows corner placement, and has 30 m2 with 2,4 m height ceiling. 

Best regards,

128x128pfmaudio

Kind of relevant, but perhaps not?

So much praise is given to SET amplification and the magic flea watt amps produce with high efficiency speakers.

As financial resources are limited for me, and as I wanted to get a general sense of what a SET sound  signature was like, I bought a Heathkit SA-3 integrated amp off Kijiji. My plan was to replace all the resistors and capacitors and see what it sounded like. Well, that was an exercise in frustration. Something went wrong and I could not for the life of me find the source of the offending sound. So, I changed tactics…  Stripped it down completely, replaced all the resistors (again), capacitors (with audiophile grade caps), tube sockets and all the wires. Also built a new enclosure. As I write this, I realize all I bought was three transformers and some vintage tubes…

Finally finished it up last week. Worked my way up through my “collection” of speakers starting with the super inexpensive DIY experiments. Tuning the circuit and making adjustments along the way. As the speakers got better, the amp was improving and was matching better with the speakers. It’s about a 2 watt amp and did a surprisingly good job driving my ESL-57’s. Last night I replaced the ESL’s with the Cornwalls. (The SA-3 is an EL84 based amp - went that route because of the Decware SE84UFO…)

Everything I’ve read about SET tube amplification was confirmed when I hooked up the Cornwalls. I can see how people either connect with it or not. I happen to like it!

All that to say, I understand your desire to go the route you are going. I’ve certainly been bitten by the SET bug. For now…

My concern is how am I going to feel about this sound signature being the only one I have access to? (Should I get a “proper” SET amp and let go of my other gear to fund it) Only time will tell. So, my oh so very inexpensive little SET amp will have to do some ongoing music duties before I make that change. 

As far as the AN speakers, when I was at an audio show recently, it was the AN room with the AN-K speakers that “felt” right

I look forward to hearing how your journey ends.

SET and front horns can have a natural synergy and you will not have to worry about output levels. Dynamic box speakers and a SET is kind of SETing yourself up for failure.

@perkri 

Cool experiment, I am envious of your skills…never could master the art of elegant soldering.

So, my oh so very inexpensive little SET amp will have to do some ongoing music duties before I make that change. 

If you like the sound of the el84 in your circuit it is technically a SEP (single ended pentode) just wait until you hear a true single ended triode well executed. As someone who has fallen into the SET rabbit hole, if you like what you hear, stop! It gets very expensive very quickly. Best wishes.