Affordable vs. ultra expensive speakers - what's the difference?

Candidate 1: Affordable at about 3K

Candidate 2: Ultra expensive at 50K.

So what's the difference?

andy2

I have a pair that retailed for 5k and another that were about 1500 new. I listen to the $1500 pair.

I agree with the don’t own a boat or snowmobile (unless those are your passions)… one of the real keys to enjoying life is to feed your passions and starve to other stuff… cars were never important to me, nor the quality of TP (to the horror of my partner). But you can’t have everything, if you were not born rich. Those of us that made a living must choose between work, how we live and our passions. If you concentrate on what really makes you happy, you can really enjoy life.

@mahgister you clearly do not know my room. It is treated with GIK panels and these speakers did not work. Now I do not have all the crazy stuff you do, and if I did my wife would have me committed.

Have a great night.

Yes i dont know your room for sure...

And sometimes speakers dont work well...

Dont take my post against you...I know very well that a dedicated audio room is not possible for all of us...

I apologize if my post was oblivious of that... you know these speakers and i dont...

My deepest respect to you...

P.S. yes my audio room is a crazy acoustic laboratory but it is because of that i has been able to figure out acoustic 6 rules for myself :

Here are these 6 aspects of acoustic control parameters in a room i experimented with :

1 -Balance between absorbing surfaces,

2 -Reflecting one,

3 -Diffusive one....

This was "classical" passive material treatment of a room, now these 3 new other factors are related to my concept of the mechanical active control of a room ( what i called a mechanical equalizer):

4-control over reverberation time and timing of the wavefronts

5- control over the distribution of the pressure zones

6- fine layering and tuning of the laminar flow

These 3 last aspects could be controlled with Helmhotz mechanical method NOT by electronical equalization...

Then the piano will not sound the same from the same pair of speakers in a non controlled room and in a controlled one...Not even close...

@mahgister you clearly do not know my room. It is treated with GIK panels and these speakers did not work. Now I do not have all the crazy stuff you do, and if I did my wife would have me committed.

Have a great night.