Affordable vs. ultra expensive speakers - what's the difference?

Candidate 1: Affordable at about 3K

Candidate 2: Ultra expensive at 50K.

So what's the difference?

andy2

I'd tell the O.P. that 'diminishing returns' are part of the difference between a 2k and a 50k loudspeaker, assuming he'd understand that the 50k can sound better.

By the 'tone' of his question I think he may be just irritated with folks who can appreciate and afford better models. He might enjoy some high-end speaker bashing, don't know.

Accept diminishing returns and buy only what you can hear. If it's a tin ear then the $2k may satisfy for a lifetime. Some are so well-designed they can. Still, I'll enjoy a Tidal Audio or Rockport or MBL, etc, far more than a cheaper pair.

For me  @jhiller  has is exactly right. Don't own a boat or snowmobile, don't need fancy new depreciating cars (some good used ones can be fun, eg Miata). Putting money into a hobby I enjoy every day makes a lot more sense.

Perhaps the O.P. should venture out and hear some world-class designed loudspeaker and he'll get it figured out.

I have a pair that retailed for 5k and another that were about 1500 new. I listen to the $1500 pair.

I agree with the don’t own a boat or snowmobile (unless those are your passions)… one of the real keys to enjoying life is to feed your passions and starve to other stuff… cars were never important to me, nor the quality of TP (to the horror of my partner). But you can’t have everything, if you were not born rich. Those of us that made a living must choose between work, how we live and our passions. If you concentrate on what really makes you happy, you can really enjoy life.

@mahgister you clearly do not know my room. It is treated with GIK panels and these speakers did not work. Now I do not have all the crazy stuff you do, and if I did my wife would have me committed.

Have a great night.