Vandersteen Sub woofers v Rythmik Subs

I really love the idea of the Vandersteen Subs where they are connected with the mains via extra speaker cable off right and left channels off the main amplifier, which is supposed to provide better bass transition from the mains while keeping the signature from the main amplifier. My question is with Vandersteen coming out with the SUB THREE and the price going significantly higher, I was wondering if there are other subs for less that you could integrate in the same way. (Most subs seem to rely on the line level input which is just a sub-woofer RCA going from the pre-amp to the amp on the sub). Can this same Vandersteen set-up be achieved with other subs?
I picked Rythmik since they are known (in the home theater community anyway) for being one of the best bang for the buck subs and the most "musical" of the bunch. (between Hsu, SVS, PSA).
And could I possibly achieve even greater sub-woofer nirvana since I could get an 18" for around $1500? Vandies only have 3 eight inchers.

I am a Vandersteen fanboy and I would like to support RV whenever I can, but don’t know much about my other sub-woofer options so looking for some feedback. Doesn’t even have to be related to Rythmik necessarily. If you know of other subs that can integrate the same way I want to know about it!

Thanks
bstatmeister
HT
I understand now....

I guess I was spoiled, my first pair of speakers were Infinity....and a class A Onkyo amp - stayed class A to 7 watts, Denon table and a very nice Grado.....
I loved those old Denon TT's. They looked great and were built like tanks, lol.  I used only Technic's and Stanton cart when DJ'ing or at the radio station.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but it was a very interesting read.

I own Vandersteen Treo CT’s and one (currently) Rythmik F12 subwoofer. My preamp is an NAD 12 and the Treo’s are being driven by Rogue M-180 monoblocks. 
After reading this thread, I believe I understand the benefits and design of the Vandersteen subwoofers. The main benefit is the crossover relieving the main speakers speakers from playing low frequencies that they might not designed to play. This also helps the amplifiers by “freeing them up” to do more.

My question is: If I use a stereo preamp (NAD M12) that can control the low pass filter AND the high pass filter, would I see much improvement using a Vandersteen subwoofer over a Rythmik (or any quality subwoofer)? Also, what would be the best crossover settings on the NAD with the Treo’s?

I do plan to add a second Rythmik F12 subwoofer soon. The NAD can control two subwoofer’s in either dual mono or dual stereo.

P.S.- I am in no way saying that Rythmik subwoofers are better (or equal to) Vandersteen subwoofers. It’s just that I already have a Rythmik and adding a second on down the road will be easier (cheaper) than buying two Vandersteen subs.

Steve

You can start with 80Hz crossover and later try higher or lower.

Don't know the Vandersteen sub nor M12, but do have multichannel with two F12 as subs. In my experience leaving the bottom to subs is better, provided integration is done right. To do this, in my experience measurement equipment is indispensable and advanced digital xo is very important too.

One step at a time is best. Otherwise the new many variables can get overwhelming.

The biggest advantage the Vandersteen’s may have is in the e.q. capabilities. Though having multiple subs helps reduce the need for e.q. Does the NAD have any e.q. capability?

Are you happy with the performance of the Rythmik you currently have? If you are, then adding more in the future should only improve on what you have now.

I agree that 80 his a good place to start with the crossover setting. If you go higher localization will start to set in so you would need to keep the sub(s) close to the main speakers but at 80 or lower you would be able to place the sub(s) in the most optimal locations in your room.