Am I a hopeless audio snob?

I think that I may have a problem, I am becoming an audio snob.  

I am going to upgrade my turntable and spend some good money. I read good things about Technics turntables but for some reason I can't take them seriously. From a few feet away, a $4000 Technics plus rig looks like a $400 Technics rig. They look cheesy to me. Low tech 1980's stuff.

I am plunking down some serious money on my next table, but I can't even consider Technics because of the looks. 

I think that I need help!

pilrem

“VPI is garbage.”

That explains everything. When I get home, in the trash they go….

Buy what you like. At a certain point, the level of performance will only be revealed in direct comparisons. The Technics is still a player- I have an SP-10 that I bought new in 1973 or thereabouts, and it is performing yeoman's duty in a vintage system after a light upgrade from Bill Thalmann. That will soon be 50 years- no it is not my main table, but it is in use in a very high grade vintage system. 

There are lots of interesting turntables out there, including some that have been around a long time. The unfortunate thing is that you can't meaningfully compare much at a dealers and listening to one offs in people's homes won't tell you much, because the rest of the system is an unknown. 

I don't churn equipment, but buy to keep and realize an advantage in not spending the same money more than once. Thus, I can concentrate on cartridges and records--the latter of most interest. 

There are some seriously good record players out there and I am not sure I'd buy new. Arm- that would involve more moving parts. Cartridge- I'm suspicious of "used" cartridges, though I have had some rebuilds that were great for the money. I don't take shortcuts here either, though. 

I'd be interested to know of recent Platine Verdier ownership experience. It seems a bargain, given the design and price, and has been around forever. Arm is a different matter, as is cartridge. 

I own the Technics MK7, yes not the high buck G or GR, but for $999 (final price about $630 after discounts/points, cash back, etc) I think it is a great looking table. I'm drawn to it's strobe and the fact I can easily play 78 records. I've outfitted mine with a Shure M97xe cartridge with the stabilizer brush ( how 80's is that?), as well as KAB USA glass platter/thin technics rubber Matt combo, isonoe feet, and a Nordost power chord and Atlas phono cables. So basically, I most likely spent what the turntable costs in some upgrades....I love it. Also installed an auto lift for end of side. 

My other tables include a Music Hall walnut MMF-7.3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze, a Pro-Ject The Classic SB in Rosewood with Goldring Eroica LX MC cartridge and step up transformer, and my newest table, the Avid Ingenium. I like them all and will not get rid of any of them. I almost forgot, I also have the Thorens TD 240-2 fully automatic belt drive bright wood finish with Ortofon OM10 cartridge pre-installed with a Super OM waiting in the wings. What a wonderful turntable it is. You gotta have at least one fully Auto in the stable...JMO. 

@secretguy , you asked for it and I will double down. VPI makes inferior equipment. If you own one I suggest you get rid of it ASAP before your cartridge explodes. I am not a big Technics fan but I would take one eons before a VPI. Even the Linn is far superior. How's that for BS? I have a lot more if you'd like.

Well, if looks is what does it for you, try this one:

Transcriptor Turntable Handling - YouTube

It does not actually work, but it sure is pretty!

I have to laugh at TT prices today. I sold lots of Linn-Sondek’s (REALLY bouncy) back in the day for about $175.00. Arms were extra; SME was popular--$135.00 as I remember.

Cheers!