Has anyone compared the Heresy to new KLH model 5?

Not interested in anything else at this time other than your opinion of how these two differ. Room is 12x15 and mainly listening to jazz for the most part, some classical and some occasional rock. I hear reports that the KLH has bigger soundstage, bigger bass, better imaging. Can others comment if they think this is correct. I currently have the Heresy II and was thinking about taking a chance on the KLH model 5 because of all the good reviews on YouTube but haven’t really discussed in a forum yet. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

rankaudio

No vested interest here.

Over Christmas I spent an hour at Hawthorne Stereo in Seattle just listening to the KLH Model 5s. Hard to find in Arizona.

Background- I built Cornerhorns from a Speakerlab kit in the 70's. Subsequently I owned Chorus 1s for a few months and have listened to Heresy speakers over the years many times. Originally the Heresy was designed as a center channel speaker for the cornerhorns. They were always way shouty for my ears. I am told the newer ones have been calmed down some. Hope so.

To me Heresy is not the Klipsch modeI would choose but then I would go JBL or old Altec first. Looking for the bigger compression horns.

As for the KLHs, they were powered by a Naim Super Atom and the 5s loved it. 

The sound had the widest sound stage I have ever heard short of a $20k+ system 

of Linkwitzs latest iteration powered by five different amps. Yes I do like a wide sound stage.

Besides the sound stage the overall fun factor was as good as it gets.

Now the vocals were not the best I've ever heard, the bass boomed a little but

not too bad, the top end was acceptable. At $2k I would buy these over the new

L100s at double the price every day of the week. Be warned though that on Feb 1st

the price will be $2,500. Crotchfield though out of stock does show the old price

as of yesterday.

Speaking with the KLH Nat. sales Mgr last evening on another matter he tells

me they will have a 2 way Model 3 out in March for $1,750 I believe. They are

all pretty excited about the positive feedback they are getting.

Rated at 90 Sensitivity they are not as efficient as any of the Klipsch speakers.

Happy shopping. Get an in home trial period.

I think the new KLH 5's sound good, but I'd definitely go with Klipsch. I had some old KLH 5's but sold them to go with JBL's.

@chorus +1! I had Heresy 1's and soon sold them! Shouty and lack of bass - they roll off around 65hz. Regarding KLH: Henry Kloss (the designer) of the originals always said his favorite was the Model Six. He preferred a good two-way over a three-way speaker. I concur and have a pair of Model Six's. It is an eminently well-balanced speaker! Too bad these new versions are so expensive! I would think that an original refurbished pair of Model Fives will sound even better than the new ones!

@chorus : I also collect and use vintage Altec's and JBL's. Not to mention the pair of KLH Nine electrostats in the front room!

Sean at Zero Fidelity (search you tube) picked the KLH 5 as his speaker of the year…