Has anyone compared the Heresy to new KLH model 5?

Not interested in anything else at this time other than your opinion of how these two differ. Room is 12x15 and mainly listening to jazz for the most part, some classical and some occasional rock. I hear reports that the KLH has bigger soundstage, bigger bass, better imaging. Can others comment if they think this is correct. I currently have the Heresy II and was thinking about taking a chance on the KLH model 5 because of all the good reviews on YouTube but haven’t really discussed in a forum yet. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

rankaudio

@chorus +1! I had Heresy 1's and soon sold them! Shouty and lack of bass - they roll off around 65hz. Regarding KLH: Henry Kloss (the designer) of the originals always said his favorite was the Model Six. He preferred a good two-way over a three-way speaker. I concur and have a pair of Model Six's. It is an eminently well-balanced speaker! Too bad these new versions are so expensive! I would think that an original refurbished pair of Model Fives will sound even better than the new ones!

@chorus : I also collect and use vintage Altec's and JBL's. Not to mention the pair of KLH Nine electrostats in the front room!

Sean at Zero Fidelity (search you tube) picked the KLH 5 as his speaker of the year…

Lotta reviewers liked the Model 5 which is one reason I selected it for

our groups June event. Standmounts under $3k.

JB- love to hear a model 9 someday. 

Can't abide Mr. Roberts for too long. Maybe his wife will someday

show herself too. She can't be any worse than my imagination

has her.

caryking

18 posts

I bought the KLH Model 5’s.  I’m sending them back as they didn’t meet my expectations.  I recognized the positives of the speaker (reviewers have talked about the positives); however, the negatives were far worse than I can handle.

The negative, for me, was all about the lower midrange.  There were hollowed out and very thin sounding.  Perhaps I like a warm romantic sound.  They did have a lot of detail retrieval which is nice; but, not at the expense of a neutral to warm sound.

That said, some may find them extremely enjoyable…

I appreciate the feedback, but without knowing the source I couldn't go based on this. I know for an absolute fact components can easily cause the effects you describe. For example, many popular receivers have cheap internal components where money and R&D is more allocated to features than reproduction of good, faithful sound. Many sound like tin cans which I hate with an absolute passion. Just recently I compared a Parasound Halo A23 that some rave about. Hands down down, my modified Dynakit Stereo 120 solid state trounced it in every regard with my Heresy's. Yes, that cheap 120 solid state everybody says is so bad. Proves how much nonsense there is on the web.

So, I can only take so much. One has to know more about ones situation to better assess the bigger picture.