Impedance Matching Confusion

My stereo amplifier has two sets of binding posts for each channel. The user manual says that it can drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers if only one set of the binding posts are being used. If I were to use both sets of binding posts, it can drive speakers that are between 8 ohm to 16 ohm. My speakers are rated at 4 ohm and they support bi-wiring. My question is that if I use both sets of the binding posts on my amplifier to bi-wire a pair of 4 ohm speakers, will it cause any issue/damage? Thanks.

My amplifier’s Power Output: 200 W + 200 W (8 Ω) 400 W + 400 W (4 Ω) / The speakers are rated at 4 ohm with 90db sensitivity.

Show less

128x128dancetofusion

You’ll be fine since the impedance of the upper and lower section are separated by the internal crossover filters.

If you put 2 pairs of 4 Ohm speakers in parallel you end up with 2 Ohms, but if you bi-wire a single 4 Ohm speaker you still have 4 Ohms.

Whether you bi-wire or single wire a speaker the amplifier sees exactly the same load as before. You are just moving where the jumpers are. On the speaker or on the amp. Electrically identical situation.

It depends on the specific amplifier. +1 What Amplifier? Good stab at it erik_.

Why not just purchase a pair of bi-wire speaker cables? I use Morrow Audio bi-wire cables. They have one pair of connectors at the amp and a dual pair of connectors for the binding posts on the speaker. Simple!