China built tube amps

Well I had an interesting conversation today. I contacted a large dealer and let him know I would like to buy a certain integrated tube amplifier that is made in China. I was told he wouldn't sell me one. He said they are all junk.  Prima Luna, Line Magnetic, Cayin, etc, etc, he said forget it. If you want a tube amplifier buy an American or European built unit that can be serviced.

So, I am new to valve amplifiers and I want to try one to understand what they're all about and sort of get my feet wet with tube rolling etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first which is why I was looking at Chinese built integrateds. So my question is, without getting into any particular brand other than what I have already mentioned, what is your experience with Chinese built tube amps? As a whole are they reliable? Am I wasting my money if I buy one according to this dealer? I have to admit I was rather taken aback by how adamant he was. Thoughts anyone?

128x128falconquest

I wouldn't trust that dealer for a second - he's got an agenda of selling you something and apparently believes that a good way to do this is to make some idiotic blanket statement like 'All amps made in China are junk' or something like that. I'd trust a Chinese amp before I'd trust this dealer. 

I don't have a tube amp but I can give you a dealer recommendation. Gig Harbor Audio (Gig Harbor, Washington near Tacoma) carries Line Magnetic and Eric is a great guy to deal with. I've heard a couple of the LM tube amps at his showroom and they sound wonderful. If I eventually buy a tube amp I will definitely buy it from a dealer because I can be more confident that the gear is durable. Dealers are not in the business of making enemies by selling lousy gear.

Gig Harbor Audio

A couple of years ago I inquired with a dealer who had a used Line Magnetic amp listed on his website (he otherwise did not carry the LM brand). He tried to discourage me from buying his listed amp and stated the following in an email back to me:

In my opinion and my experience, the gear out of China is inferior and we had way too many technical issues. The sound performance is also disappointing. We recommend that you buy USA, European or Japanese, Only.

I wonder if we are all talking about the same dealer here? These comments were completely off-putting and I ended up purchasing a brand new LM805ia from an authorized dealer. The LM has been flawless and is my favorite amp in my stable by a long margin.

@falconquest The dealer you spoke with seems to me one I would not wish to deal with. I agree with those saying country of origin need not be the only criterion for product selection. I would want US based service facility for non domestic products however.  I have had tube gear from Jolida (parts and boards sourced from China, product put together in USA, great service),  Line Magnetic (China based  company with US service and dealer network), and Aric Audio (USA owned small company selling direct). Like yourself I am approaching tube amplification as a learning experience. Started with PP designs. 

Prior to making suggestions for tube integrated amplifier companies to search out I have a couple questions. What speakers are you planning on driving with the proposed tube integrated amplifier? What is your budget for said amplifier?

I currently have an American made tube amp. It's excellent.

I used to have a SS amp from China. It was the best amp I ever had.

I'd say run...don't walk...to another dealer. This guy sounds like a clown.