Transmission line speakers!

Hi group,

I just pulled the trigger on a mint pair of Falcon speakers. They are a transmission line design. I don’t see many speakers using transmission line. Does anyone here have any experience pro or con with this type of design? BTW, I have always liked sealed type speakers over ported speakers!

Thanks much!

128x128yogiboy

I’ve had custom transmission lines for 32 years. Even if I ever try another pair of speakers at some point, they’ll most likely use a TL. They’re more difficult to build and to get right than many speakers, but when done well, the lack of resonance can be spectacular from the low bass all the up into the midrange....the midrange can be one of the strongest benefits of a TL (lots of variables, obviously).  Add good higher frequency drivers and a well executed crossover, and you have the makings for impressive fidelity that most speakers struggle to match.

ditusa- Yes and the L65 has the 6 in front of the 5 instead of behind it like in the L25. Good catch. Anyway thanks, I was wrong about Jubal don't know where that came from they were L25 Prima. The L26 was the wood cabinet version of the L25. Same speaker, different cabinets. Both had 10" woofers. The L25 is the ugly one you buy when your paper route earnings aren't enough to afford the nice wood one. Thanks for reminding me how much I was willing to sacrifice if it would get me a good stereo. 

People think Tekton are ugly. They have no idea. Bright yellow and orange, ugliest speaker ever.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1972-l25.htm

I'm not familiar with any transmission line speaker Infinity made.

Infinity Column and Column II, QLS-1, Quantum-2, 1001A, to name a few.

I owned TDL large monitors, bought the same model twice, and loved them. Great subterranean bass.

Infinity Column and Column II, QLS-1, Quantum-2, 1001A, to name a few.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

None of them were. They were Line Source. QLS. Quantum Line Source.

They were a hybrid at that. Then only the QLS1, kinda. It wasn’t a true LS speaker not TL. It was a big ol box.. That’s it..

A transmission line uses an internal partition to lengthen the path from the rear of the driver, to the port. The sound is transmitted through the length of the path and in doing so tunes the box.

There are no folds, much less bracing in any of the Infinity boxes. Just a big ol box, nothing fancy at all.. Veneers. :-)

Transmission line speakers, Subwoofer and Bookshelf or rear speakers

This is the inside of a transmission line.

You can see the mids and tweeter would have to be an enclosed design to share the same baffle and port for tuning. That hole in the back, I’m sure that is for the binding post. The space on top is tuning the box, adding bracing and reducing resonance issues with the long section of the throat. The long run in the back we use to put shag carpet.. Now NoRez on the back only. Maybe 10" of the port exit.

Every corner would need batting. This is a serious build, they did a good job smoothing the throat. See how they rounded the corners. They are not just left square. Double front and bottom it looks like, too.

Regards