DAC Question: Delta-Sigma vs R2R

I have a general question, I am looking to buy my first standalone DAC, right now I have an Azur 851N, which is a streamer/DAC. As I look I continue to see discussions on Delta-Sigma vs R2R DACs.

I am in no way an audio expert nor do I have a good understanding of electronics.

In Laymen terms, Could anybody explain what is the difference between the 2 technologies?

mod_asored

This question has been asked and answered many times on this forum. In my experience it depends on your amplification. If , as I do, you have a tubed pre and power amp you might prefer Delta Sigma. If you have SS amps then try tubed or R2R DACs. What it boils down to, as many have said, is to try as many DACs of different type as you can.

As an older guy with Meniere's ( tinnitus's big brother) I find my Denafrips Ares 2 a best solution at the price, many Dac's sound far too bright to me and some have a lot of sibilance, of the ones I have Marantz are the worst culprit,  I have a Cambridge Audio Dac in my SACD player and it sounds great on SACD's but is improved a little with CD's if I use the Ares 2. I would not buy the Ares to replace the Cambridge Audio however the CA does not process USB. I also have an iFi iDSD micro BL which is a Burr Brown Chip based Dac, but prefer the Ares 2. 

@mod_asored  Tons of good advice so far, my only add in is look at DAC connections and get something that has I2S and USB inputs if possible. It's always good to have options. I would love to get an R2R DAC for my second system.

Happy hunting! 

Sorry to waylay this thread but New Year Wish.

Bricasti releases a stand alone M21 ladder DAC at a reasonable price (M3 price?)