Herron Audio VTPH-2A - Modwright PH 9.0X - Icon audio ps1 mkii

Hi Everyone, I’ve heard great things about the Herron but notice it’s discontinued on the website. I’ve reached out to Keith to inquire but my other choices are the Modwright PH9.0x and Icon PS3 MK II. Has anyone compared these. I have had great experience with Dan and his mod of my Pioneer LX500. I appreciate any insights.

Rene

128x128audiosaurusrex

I haven’t heard the Herron, but I do own the Modwright 9.0X. With the right tubes    (Bel/India in my case and are the same as Philips SQ in my case), I’d put it up against any phono pre at twice its price.  

Brother in law has the Nova III w LPS, very quiet and linear. He has a Ortofon Bronze on a mofi deck, very nice sound but not in the grade of sound of what is being mentioned this thread…

I just posted this on another forum, but I have heard both and think the PH9.0 and 9.0X kick the living daylights out of the Herron. The Herron is very polite in comparison, with the PH9.0 much more soulful, vibrant and holographic in comparison. The 9.0X even more so at a quieter noise level.

@thiefoflight Thanks for your insight. I just received mine. Packed meticulously, Rock Solid, Art and Engineering Excellence! I can't wait to hook it up.

@audiosaurusrex Awesome! Did you go for the PH9.0 or X? I ended up upgrading mine with Reflektor tubes, both 6N23-P and 6C45 and use a Synergistic Research fuse. All made considerable differences!