Remote Maintenance

So here's a topic I haven't seen covered. How do you maintain your remotes? With all the gidgets, gadgets and gizmos we have, they all seem to have a remote. 9v, AAA, AA batteries in everything. Do you have a regular battery replacement plan, do you just check once in a while or do you wait until they stop working altogether and then replace batteries? And what about those leakers?

128x128falconquest

I don't check the batteries so it's usually when the remote starts to act slow and unresponsive is when I take a look and sometimes have to clean the contacts from the batteries eroding and leaving gunk on the contacts. Then I replace the batteries.

All the best,
Nonoise

Usually about once a week I fish it out from between the cushions, check it out for tequila infiltration, wipe it off and return to my margarita. Be careful though because Pina colada uses coconut syrup, dry towel alone won't do use damp sponge first. 

Remote, there is a love hate relationship. I hate when I’m looking for one, then to find out the batteries are dead or worse, spewed CRAP inside a 400.00 remote (Krell brushed aluminum IF you can find one). Some such mishap like dropping it on the only BRICK in the whole room (used as a door stop) or in the only cup of water in the whole room. You know, the CRAP you can’t plan in lifetime, BUT it happens on it’s own.

Drop a 400.00 just repaired remote, right in a glass of water. There is a clearance of LESS than 1/16" on each side. PLOP! Hole in one. You could have practiced for 100 years and not done it twice in a row from 4 feet up.

I liked it when the wife dropped the brand new Mac remote for my C2500 (when I first got it) face first in the fresh batch of egg salad. I didn’t talk to her for a month.
THAT was a pisser.

I new a service writer that threw his cell phone across the shop once a month and it would explode. 5 years that went on. THAT is what he was fired for, throwing stuff. He tried throwing one of the other mechanics across the shop, that didn’t work out to well. When he woke up in the hospital with handcuffs on, LOL he kinda knew don’t mess with old mechanics. They use to wire your jaw shut, when the ol jaw got broke (I guess they still do) He looked perfect for once in his life.

The point is I KNOW there are REMOTE thrower out there. Just like cell phone assassins. Beware.. LOL

I never got mad at tools or equipment, people, that’s a different story, I KNOW they're stupid..

Regards