OK-- I think I get it, now...

For a long time, I've hesitated to call myself an audiophile, preferring "music-lover", instead.

To be honest, I've had a somewhat dismissive attitude regarding those whom, to me, appeared overly obsessed with sound. 

With the recent acquisition of a Hegel H390, I'm forced to "change my tune", as it were. I guess I just crossed over into the high end.

I've been immersing myself in the Burton/Corea duet disc "Crystal Silence", a long time favorite of mine, and there is just so much "more" going on to notice and appreciate, now.

First of all, the music is unmistakably occurring in three dimensional space. And notes have roundness, color, density and texture. Instrumental timbre is richer and more distinctive. The players' use of varying dynamics, attack and tempo are much more evident than before. Vocals convey so much more emotion and now I can feel the emotion's impact somatically. That's new.  

It's certainly made me appreciate my speakers, more. Apparently, up until now, the Silverlines have been denied the sort of amplification that would permit them to perform at their best. I hope the speaker gods will forgive me! 

No doubt, in time, I will make other discoveries, but for now, this is crazy (in a good way).

I feel I've entered a whole new world. There's no way I can still claim to be "just a music lover". Master M has emphasized the unity of sound and music many times and finally, I think I get it. One cannot be separated out from the other-- they are inextricably one. 

stuartk

I'm definitely on the opposite spectrum.  Being an audiophile brings along a series of expectations others want to put on me and I could not care to be bothered.  Either about what tweaks I care about or how much money I spend.  I just don't care about the labels. 

There are some technological things and musical things I am interested and like to chat about with others and some things I don't.  Hopefully I make more friends than enemies along the way.

You u want to chase away the magic you have for the magic you don’t

This is an excellent idea full of wisdom. The new found pleasure can become an addiction. In the pursuit of more excellent sound, it’s easy to want to upgrade which can be as much a side ways move without good research. Iow enjoy your system and plan wisely for the next piece. This is often the greatest challenge.. Enjoy

@stuartk 

The next logical question in the journey is how do I know when a new piece of equipment has moved the needle on my sound?

For me it is an easy answer. It was when I heard music that I have listened to my who life that I thought I knew and it now is sounding completely new to me. You start re discovering old music because you are now hearing things you never did before. Perfect example for me is Dire Straits. I always thought they were just s so so catchy band could take or leave. Well re discovering them on my new gear is like finding a new secret band I never new of. This continues as I am enjoying music and artists I never would have in the past. It is not my taste changing either as I still enjoy all the music I like before just find my enjoyment is expanding greatly.

Enjoy the music first and keep looking out the window along the journey, you never know what you will see round the next corner!

@knotscott:

"There’s a certain level of realism we each need to convince our brain and ears that there’s music in the room".

Yes-- and this is a lot clearer to me, now that I'm actually experiencing that sense of realism. 

@erik_squires:

"I'm definitely on the opposite spectrum.  Being an audiophile brings along a series of expectations others want to put on me and I could not care to be bothered". 

Not sure exactly what you mean, here, Erik, by "opposite spectrum". 

I believe the healthiest approach is for each person to define for themselves what "audiophile" or "music lover" means or doesn't mean. For a long time, I viewed these as polar opposites. I'm a creative person and stubbornly independent in terms of trusting my own esthetic perceptions. In terms of gear, I've never had large amounts of cash to spend, so I've typically had to go with gear from smaller, lesser-known manufacturers. The Hegel is an exception-- I simply could not find another piece that fit my criteria, so when I found the open box unit with a return policy, I jumped on it.  

@artemus_5:

"In the pursuit of more excellent sound, it’s easy to want to upgrade which can be as much a side ways move without good research".

Yes. In this regard, I have two limiting factors working in my favor: 1) I find upgrades exhausting and 2) I can't afford to upgrade often ;o)